My 13 year old wants to enter a beauty contests?

Let me start out by saying that I do not want this to happen in any way shape or form. I just don't like the whole Toddlers and Tiaras thing.
That being said she is beggin for me to enter her in an upcoming contest, 2 or her friends are in it, the entry fee alone is $300, checked about dresses and they are crazy expensive as well.
I want a find a way to convince her that her personality and brains are what is important.
Dad says we should let her, but I do not want her to do it period.
Any suggestions?
And hey if you are into it, that is fine, it just to me sends a bad message.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on May. 8, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• No, enroll her in an extracurricular activity that builds real self esteem such as a sport or Volunteer position. How about something at the local Library. They are always looking for teens to volunteer to help out with infant/toddler activities. Maybe she'll even be interested in Teaching children one day. Beauty Contests provide no future. You are her Mom & should guide her in the right direction now. She is too young to know what is good for her.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:05 PM on May. 8, 2013

• I have no idea if she could win or not, but I know that if she doesn't it would be heartbreaking to her, and maybe that is the lesson she needs to learn.
    **********

and what lesson IS that if she loses? That you an pay for people to judge you and decide who has a prettier dress? Or fancier hair?
    I think at 13 I'd be more worried about her esteem and how this could potentially KILL it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:27 PM on May. 8, 2013

• I would just say no to it. Maybe her dad has never watched one of these contests? And, as you say, you are looking at spending a bunch of money!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:53 AM on May. 8, 2013

• I'd tell her no. First, you don't need to enter a contest to prove outward beauty- or any beauty
    second, it is expensive.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:55 AM on May. 8, 2013

• If money is the only issue tell her no. If you have the money then her do it. She needs to experience things
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:02 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Well first of all, she isn't a toddler, so that makes no sense to discuss that show.

Second, if she wants to enter and you can afford the fees and dress, why not? You can win money, scholarships, etc. My kids never wanted to do anything like that, but I guess I would have said yes.

And for the record, I hate the toddler age pageants.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:02 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Personally, this is one of the reasons I'm glad to have boys - I don't have to deal with this. If I'd had girls, I wouldn't have entered them in beauty contests as young children for sure. At the age of 13, I'm kind of torn, though. She's old enough to know what she wants, so it's not a situation where she could (reasonably) turn around later and be mad at you for making her do it.

On the other hand, even at 13, sometimes they really don't make the connection of what they have to give up to get something (giving up horse lessons for this, for example). They agree to it because they want whatever it is so badly, but don't really effectively weigh to determine whether what they want is really worth giving up what they already have.

If it's purely money, then just say no. If money is only one of many concerns, then sit with her and keep talking about it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:37 PM on May. 8, 2013

• I agree that getting judged by how you look on the outside, let alone spending a bunch of money to enhance your outward beauty, sends an incredibly bad message about what's important in life. I'd put my foot down on this one, Mom.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:19 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Well, first, you are the parent, not her friend. So put your foot down and tell her no if you don't want her to do it. Then explain how you feel about being judged for outward beauty, etc.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:36 PM on May. 8, 2013

• If I thought it was something that promoted well-being and achievments I would spend the money, but to be judged on the outside is a huge problem for me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:56 AM on May. 8, 2013