how can i get my child to sleep?? PLEASE HELP!!

I have been dealing with my 2 1/2 year olds sleeping patterns for a couple of months now. She turned 2 the end of Sept. Right before that, we had our second daughter. I know there have been major changed around our household.
She is sleeping in a "big girl" bed and has been for 6 mts. It seems for the past 2 months it's a non stop headache to put her to bed and for her to stay in her bed. I have tried almost everything. From walking her back n forth. Putting a gate up, or just letting her cry it out. She seems to fight with me for up to 2-3 hrs in the afternoon and evening hours. I don't want to lock her in her room. However, most of our friends are doing it with their 2 1/2 year old. I am just so fed up with sleeping patterns being "her" way and not knowing what else to do. Since i now have a 5 month old, it's so hard to make sure she isn't crawling into something or crying while i am dealing with the older child's behavior.

LBNeill23

Asked by LBNeill23 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, she probably doesn't need naps anymore. Try not putting her down for a nap (I'm assuming you still are because you say she fights with you in the afternoon about it). She might go right to sleep at night, then.
    Anonymous

• I agree about the naps, but have her go to her room for quiet time and play so you can have a few moments to yourself which will make the day go much better. If she is tired, she will fall asleep, but set a time that she will need to wake up. Also, at 2 y/o, life is always a crisis when they are tired.

Also, have a nightly routine. I would give my kids baths, rub them down with lotion while quietly talking to them and then in bed at the same time every night. An hour or half hour before bedtime, keep everything low key, let her know in 30 minutes its bed time, then let her know 10 minutes, 5 minutes, 2 minutes, etc. that it is will be time to be in bed. Read her a book during the half hour before, but let her know you are only going to read it one time.

I know that having a new baby in the house is hard, so don't get too frustrated over bedtime. Be sure to enlist the help of your SO, if you can.
    chocolateroses

Answer by chocolateroses at 1:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• spongebob dvds saved us. My kid falls asleep 10 min after we turn it on in his room
    '
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:04 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• She may be dropping the nap although she is a bit young for it.
    Consistency is key. I'm sure you had a nice bed time routine for her and perhaps it's been abbreviated/changed because of the new baby. Try to return to her old night time routine as best you can and keep her bed time/wake time the same.
    Make sure her room is free from toys and completely babyproofed (bolt dresser to wall if you haven't already done so). You can put a gate at her door rather than locking her in there. The first time she gets out of bed say to her "it's time for bed sweetie" and then put her back in bed. After that don't say anything to her just put her back in bed.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2009