Homeschooling in a blended family, does that really make me crazy?

So my husband and I decided to homeschool our three children next year. We have lots of reasons and we've done thorough research and consideration. It's already a huge job but on top of the "normal" challenges that come with homeschooling your children my husband and I have a blended family. Our two younger children are my biological children (from a previous marriage) and our oldest child is his biological daughter (from a previous relationship). We have them all full time right now and the "other parents" get them sometimes on weekends. The hitch is that since they wont be in school the "other parents" want to take them more often. Historically this hasn't worked out so well because they don't all always behave like responsible parents and it's definitely going to be complicated trying to employ consistency between the households on school items. Our daughters' therapist has made strong advisement that we refuse to change the visitation schedule until we are all comfortable knowing that the kids have all made a full and healthy transition into homeschooling, but my (step) daughter's biological mother has expressed interest in being involved in teaching her some of the material. Whereas that's a request that I can't exactly refuse I do have some concerns about her actually keeping up her end of the deal.

At any rate, what do you think of homeschooling in a blended family? Crazy or brave? lol.

Personally I'm convicted beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's what's best for my babies so I absolutely will be homeschooling next year, I just thought I'd get some of your thoughts :-)

ashleyaction

Asked by ashleyaction at 12:24 PM on May. 8, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• OP, I do not think in anyway that your crazy for doing this....I just have never met anyone that has done this that has not ended up regretting it....

Answer by older at 2:03 PM on May. 8, 2013

• If you've done your research, and know y'all can do it, then GREAT! I am NOT a good candidate to homeschool my kids; I don't have the patience for it.

Your husband and you both need to set down clearly defined rules about visitation and homeschooling. School hour are from blah to blah, just as if they were in a school building. If either bio parent wants to assist in the education process they need to write up detailed lesson plans that include who, what, when, where, why, and how. If the plans are acceptable to you, allow them to assist. If you don't feel it is well thought out, decline their offer.

If they're as less than ideal parents like you say, they're not going to put that much effort into the process, thereby shooting themselves in the foot.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:29 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Of course I think that public schools can also mess up, my daughter is a high school teacher at an alternative school, yes schools mess up too, but mostly the kids she deals with are messed up by their environment and circumstances, they have no control over....by all means I wish you lots of luck...because you are going to need it...

Answer by older at 3:43 PM on May. 8, 2013