Packing dinner?

My 4 yo has tball 3 nights a week and I cannot get home between work and practice/games. So I either pack dinner or grab something at McD's. Any suggestions for breaking the routing of nuggets and PBJ sandwiches?

BTW, I have the 4 yo and a 2 yo, plus myself to feed.

AngZacc

Asked by AngZacc at 12:36 PM on May. 8, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Kids that age generally love finger foods and anything they can dip. My 4 year old loves baby carrots and hummus, cherry tomatoes, grapes, apple slices, etc. I also will make chicken breasts and cut them into strips that he can easily grab. Nuts are great, too. Crackers and cheese, string cheese, celery sticks with PB (I put the PB in a tiny Gladware container and dip it), bananas (also good with PB- carry a small butter knife)...
    Can you store stuff in a fridge at work during the day? I'm out of the house all day, and I have to carry all of my food with me. I make myself salads a lot. Quinoa salad, Greek yogurt with berries (DS LOVES that!), cottage cheese with a diced pear or berries...
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:42 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Subway instead of McDonald's?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:42 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Do you have a refrigerator at work that you can store the food in? If so, I'd say any frozen TV dinner might work, if you also have a microwave there and time after work to nuke them all and get the kids before they get cold again.

If you only have a fridge and no micro or no time, then I'd suggest sandwiches with various deli meats, salads (tuna, pasta, taco, regular).

Another option with the micro would be those Campbell's soups that you can just heat and go.

Alternatively, is eating after you get home from tball an option? If so, you could just take some cut up veggies, granola bars, cheese and crackers or other light snacks and then make dinner when you get home (or make dinner for those nights the night before or on the weekend, and simply reheat them when you get home).
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:44 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Do you have a cooler? If you do, you can take it to work and then on along to sports practice, and pack hard-boiled eggs, meat and cheese for sandwiches, etc. If not, what about those little cans of tuna salad? Not the best nutrition, but probably better than McDonald's a few times a week. Are there any other restaurants, grocery store delis, or the like close by?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:44 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Thanks ladies. I do have a fridge at work, so I can keep things cool. We have a whole string of fast food restaurants in our town. My issue is that they are on the opposite end of town from the ball fields. I have about 30 minutes to pick them up and get them fed before practice.

You are ideas have been helpful, thanks! I will take more if you have them!
    AngZacc

Comment by AngZacc (original poster) at 2:46 PM on May. 8, 2013