My baby can read..

okay, so i never used my baby can read.. but i watch a one year old and her mom brought over the whole collection she said, just play it as background noise... i watch her for 4 hours so she wants the dvd in for that long.. i dont know if it works.. or what.. but its annoying as heck that is all.. lmao

anyways has anyone ever used my baby can read?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on May. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• Waste of time and money. Its more like your baby can memorize.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:45 PM on May. 8, 2013

• There are more important skills for babies to learn than reading. The first few years of life are critical for getting the hang of bonding, human interaction, and a host of physical feats like crawling, walking, grasping, talking, etc. Many parents who use those early reading programs like to show off the skills their baby has as sort of a status symbol for themselves, but there's no credible research to show that early reading equals higher intelligence or future school success. I have a five-ear-old who has just now shown an interest in reading during the past few months. She's catching on at her own pace because I haven't pushed her, so it's an exciting and enjoyable experience for her, and the skill has meaning beyond simple memorization to please a parent. She's learning that reading has a point, as in finding the jug of soap bubbles in the cupboard or locating the bus stop sign, not just to make a parent smile.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:00 PM on May. 8, 2013

• They've already been sued and lost.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:02 PM on May. 8, 2013

• i don't know i put it on and we watch it once if that then i turn it off but i tell the mom we watch it all 4 hours.. i rather not deal with and spend time with the child just playing or going out back.. !
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:04 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Yea, it's a scam with absolutely no proof it ever worked.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:23 PM on May. 8, 2013

• No way I'd have that on for 4 hours in my house. I'd go nuts hearing it.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:25 PM on May. 8, 2013

• I wouldn't want to listen to the program for four hours a day. That being said, if I was paying someone to watch my baby and part of the deal was that she did the program, I'd be upset to find out she didn't and then told me she had. I think it would be better for the baby if you did more hands-on activities with her, but I also believe the mom has the right to be told.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:54 PM on May. 8, 2013