"slut shaming" adult content

I've heard a lot from opposite sides of the fence on this one but who believes that we are in a "rape culture" and that women are being blamed for being the victims"?

Personally I'm pretty disgusted that we (as a society) seem to put forward the blame that it must be a women's fault that a man can't control himself.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/3CGqCj

I read this article a few minutes ago, unfortunately it's one of many I've seen over the past few months.

ashleyaction

Asked by ashleyaction at 1:35 PM on May. 8, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• 27 Halloween Costumes That Your Childhood Self Would Be Proud Of

Anonymous

• This pretty much covers it

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:52 PM on May. 8, 2013

• That ^^^
    My daughter was SO SERIOUSLY pissed when she came home from orientation for college and told me about how it was all about what the GIRL could do not to be raped. She has been raped. She made it the topic of her last speech of the year.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:55 PM on May. 8, 2013

• It's beyond disgusting when women are blamed because men can't keep their hands and their dicks to themselves. I wasnt raped, but I was sexually assaulted by a stranger at a bus stop years ago. The perpetrator had figured out that a bunch of disabled women got on and off the bus at this one place--we were all rehearsing for a play put on by physically handicapped actors. When I told my own family what had happened, their initial questions were, "What were you wearing?" "Why didn't you yell or draw attention to what was going on?" Like it was my fault somehow because I was dressed for work in an office and too scared to call for help. The only justice in that situation was that the perpetrator's fourth victim that we know of, who happened to be a double leg amputee with incredible upper arm strength, put a serious ass kicking on the son of a bitch and ended his spree of assaults on the supposedly defenseless
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:08 PM on May. 8, 2013

• I think the rape education needs to go both ways. Teach the men to treat women with respect and the girls things to help them because there are creeps out there that don't care. The things that a woman learns on how not to get raped also help her in other areas such as how to not to be robbed. You know the don't walk after dark by yourself in unlit areas, carry mace, keys, etc in your hands to help in case you are attacked.

There will always be some nut out there so I didn't care if the college told us how to avoid getting raped but I do feel the guys should have been told how to take care of a woman.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:09 PM on May. 8, 2013

• It's disgusting! I can't believe people defend rapers! "well maybe she shouldn't been walking alone" "Maybe she shouldn't have been drinking" "Maybe she shouldn't dress like that" Are you fucking serious people! Women do NOT ask to be raped! Why is women to blame?!
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:19 PM on May. 8, 2013

• I think a couple things contribute to this. It's horrible
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:49 PM on May. 8, 2013

• winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:59 PM on May. 8, 2013

• I dont think we are actually defending rapists when we teach women how to avoid being raped. The fact of life is there ARE men (and women) who will abuse others in many different ways. And yes, they are always to blame. There is no justification for what they do. But, people who rape are not going to stop if they are told DON'T RAPE. If a lecture or discussion could change them, then the simple fact that it's against the law would sway them. So, the next best thing is to give women some tools to protect themselves. Is it fair? No. But a lot of shit goes down in life that is not fair. Do you teach your kids to avoid strangers? Do you lock up your house against thieves? Do you have an alarm on your car? It's all preventive measures against people who do not care about right or wrong.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:31 PM on May. 8, 2013

• I am speechless at the stupidity of these people anymore. And folks wonder why a woman doesn't report being raped. Especially since that fucking political idiot claiming if a woman got pregnant, it wasn't rape because our bodies can "shut down" that process. Now this?? WTF is wrong with people? Now after this article and these others like this, many woman will not report being raped because it was her fault. So then the stats will show the number of rapes have declined, giving credence to others articles and politicians and men that women has "wised up". So begins the snowball turning to an avalanche....*smh*
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:39 AM on May. 9, 2013