Cheerleading

I am in the process of taking over as a coach for our Jr. High cheer squad here. We have not had a squad for the jr high in 4 years so I am really excited. I have a large number of girls interested in being a part of this. I am in the process of setting up a parent meeting for the girls and their parents to go over information about tryouts, transportation to and from games, practices, uniforms, etc. What are some other things I need to be sure to mention at our parent meeting? This is my first time of ever coaching so I am just slightly nervous but so happy to be a part of this for these wonderful girls. Also, if anyone has any cheers that they remember from jr high/high school, let me know!! Thanks in advance!

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 1:36 PM on May. 8, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• 27 Halloween Costumes That Your Childhood Self Would Be Proud Of

Anonymous

• TOTAL COST! Don't say it's only going to cost $100 for the uniform and then the parents end up with another couple hundred for the odds and ends. If they are required to sell so much at a fund raiser let them know up front. We had 3 daughters in it for one year and it ended up costing over $1,000 and this was in grade school. I said never again.

Let the parents know what their role is. How problems will be handled.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:59 PM on May. 8, 2013

• I was never a cheerleader, but good luck!It's great when kids can have such an enthusiastic coach and supporter in their lives.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:59 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Baconbits- Thanks...For the first year we are just using uniforms that they have from past years. I wanted to do fundraisers so that the girls could choose their uniforms and start fresh but I understand where the principal is coming from with wanting to use the old uniforms for the first year until we know how well it is going to work out.

Ballad- I was a cheerleader for 3 years in high school and was trying out for college cheerleading when I found out I was pregnant with my 1st child. Unfortunately I had to drop out of tryouts. 2-3 years later, I was asked to come back to college cheerleading but by then I had just had my 2nd child and didn't have time to go back to school. I love cheerleading and want the girls to have a fun experience while learning the skills to prepare them for high school cheerleading.
    agrafel

Comment by agrafel (original poster) at 2:05 PM on May. 8, 2013

• our team is dyno-mite
    our team is dyno-mite
    our team is *tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick* BOOM dyno-mite!

sorry...i was only a cheerleader for 2 weeks when i realized it was not for me. thats the only cheer i remember haha. best of luck!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:12 PM on May. 8, 2013

• lol thanks! That is always a fun one!!!
    agrafel

Comment by agrafel (original poster) at 5:37 PM on May. 8, 2013