How do I keep Pink eye from continuously spreading?

My daughter was at my in-laws right before he was diagnosed with Pink Eye, but after 2 hours, I figured we were in the clear, until I got her up one morning, three days later, and her poor eye was sealed shut. So, we cleaned everything, washed her pillows and bedding, treated her eyes with antibiotics from the doctor, and everything cleared up. Or so I though, I put on eye liner (that I now know she got into when she was sick), and the next day I had it....now it's traveling through our entire household and she has it again. What should I do?

MommyKagu

Asked by MommyKagu at 3:11 PM on May. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• just make sure that anytime someone touches their eyes that they need to wash their hands directly after. Keep cleaning as you are and just stay on top of it.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 3:15 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Get the eye drops for yourself. Usually pink eye comes out prior to another virus. My Son had it, used the drops, got it again right away then got pneumonia & a double ear infection.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:13 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Pink eye is often viral so the antibiotics may/may not help. Washing hands and cleaning contact surfaces is all you can do. My 13 yo got it 2 weeks ago, thankfully none of my other 4 got it!

Answer by missanc at 3:21 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Our doctor told me to just use the same bottle because I never touch the bottle to her eyes, nor mine, but it's just getting ridiculous, and oddly enough, I'm also dealing with severe bronchitus (started two months before this), and my first ever ear infection the day before I developed Pink Eye for the first time....I just need to know why it's coming back and affecting everyone now.
    MommyKagu

Comment by MommyKagu (original poster) at 3:16 PM on May. 8, 2013

• She is supposed to finish the entire bottle of drops. You should get your own prescription & complete the bottle yourself. Just a few doses will not cure it. You need to finish all the medication. You also said you used eyeliner that she used when sick. You know how you got it. So if you keep your hands clean & she no longer has it (which she did not finish her medication so it may come back) then that should be it. The Dr. who told you to use her drops is a dope.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:20 PM on May. 8, 2013

• ILove - when my son had the eye drops there was almost 1/2 bottle left after he finished the prescribed length/dosage (1-2 drops ever 4-6 hours leaves some room for more/less being used) so I can understand there being some left.

Answer by missanc at 3:28 PM on May. 8, 2013

• My doctor actually only prescribed them for three to five days, it's a bacterial infection, not the nasty viral one, and when I came in for my bronchitus and told him that I had developed it as well, he said to just use the same dosing, for three to five days, and do the same with anyone else in the house. But, I can't believe that she is back with it again so shortly. Like, is there something inside my house that has the bacteria on it that I'm over looking? Or did I pass it back when I used eye liner she had gotten into while I was at work? That's more so what I'm trying to figure out. It's ridiculous and I've got five more loads of laundry to do trying to disinfect EVERYTHING.
    MommyKagu

Comment by MommyKagu (original poster) at 3:50 PM on May. 8, 2013