Your baby can read???

I have a 6 month old and I saw a commercial for the Your Baby Can Read dvds. I was really interested in getting it but I wanted some input first. Has anyone used the dvds before and do they work.

drs1206

Asked by drs1206 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've got them - - we sell them through Usborne Books at Home. I do know that some have said it works, but YOU have to be consistent by showing them the DVD and working with them. If you're not consistent, then it won't work.

Hope that helps!! I wasn't consistent enough with them.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 12:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Why are we in such a rush to have our babies grow up? Let our kids be kids. Learning to read in kindergarten and 1st grade is soon enough.
    Anonymous

• I actually considered this myself for our little man, but I asked some developemental specialists what their thought were on it and they said no way! They said that programs like these actually can do more harm than good. They said that it can actually cause delays in speech and reading, because babies at such a young age aren't "made" to focus on words. they are still trying to take in SO much other information. Needless to say, that was enough to persuade me not to purchase them. I have a cousin who had speech and reading issues and stuff like that is just not worth the risk to me. IMO, I would say don't buy it. They suggested reading to your baby. They said just simple reading where they hear a few words at a time can be so much more beneficial! And your baby should acquire an appreciation for reading from it.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 1:23 AM on Feb. 18, 2009