In your opinion, is being methodical a good or bad thing?

I have been very busy at work the past two weeks. Yesterday, I had to set the timer on my phone so that I wouldn't take more than 4 minutes to eat lunch. I have a lot of deadlines this week so needless to say, I have been slightly stressed, nothing too bad, but I can feel the time crunch and that is when I do my best work.

Anyways, after getting a devastating email on something where the plans fell through and I would have to find a backup at the last minute, I was venting to my co-worker just a little bit. She told me that I need to take 5 minutes to just slow down, calm down, and get my thoughts together. I told her that I would love to, but I just really don't have time because I needed to start on a project that was handed to me late ( I was suppose to receive it on Monday, but I just got it at noon today). It was a bit of an artsy project and after working on it for about 30 minutes, I told my co-worker that it was really calming me down and I felt more relaxed by doing this project. She told me that she could see that because I am very methodical person.

She is not the first person who has commented on me being methodical and very organized. I had a huge project yesterday and I was talking to my boss about one of the organizers for the event. My boss made the comment that she never thought she would see the day where someone could one up me on organization. 

The reason that I ask is because the other organizer was a bit hard to work with at first. She seemed to have a micro-manger style. My boss even made comments about how demanding and forcefully strong she was. I love being organized but I definitely don't want to people to see me as being some organized freak who when things don't go her way, freaks out. 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on May. 8, 2013 in Money & Work

• I think it's good to have a process but I also think its important to be a little flexible. It sounds like you are though, and it doesn't seem to stop you front finishing your projects by your deadlines.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:44 PM on May. 8, 2013

• To me, methodical is a good thing. I wouldn't mind if someone called me that. It indicates thoroughness, attention to details, careful work. Methodical in itself doesn't imply that you are a control freak. It's just one of many personality traits. Paired with drill sergeant attitude, being methodical might make you difficult to work with, but it wouldn't be your organization that was the problem.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:45 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Methodical=good, anal/OCD= bad, at least in my book. I have no problem with organization and having a method. If you freak out because it took you 5 min to eat instead of 4 you have a problem. Though, as long as you aren't trying to micro manage anyone else you should be ok.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:47 PM on May. 8, 2013

• I agree with kmath!

Answer by older at 8:50 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Methodical is fine. The idea of setting a four minute timer for lunch strikes me as odd. But I eat at my desk every day. Always have. always will. I work while eating.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:05 AM on May. 9, 2013

• gdiamante, I normally eat and work at my desk as well, but that day was completely hectic. I was so busy and stressed because I had 30 people coming to do a project and I was not finished setting up yet. I was going to skip lunch, but my co-workers told me that I really needed to get some lunch (it was catered in that day). I compromised with them saying I would take 4-5 minutes to eat. I set the timer because I am on the go so much that when I do sit down, sometimes, I don't want to get back up and that day was not the day for me to waste time.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:02 AM on May. 9, 2013