Trying to find a non-crazy homeschool group?

I've been looking for a homeschool group either online or in person but in person would be better for social activities. But it just seems like all the groups around me or even on facebook are crazy libertarians who think the FDA is trying to kill us or they seem to be VERY religious to the point of all they're textbooks and conversations seem to be constantly about God. I mean I'm religious and go to church each Sunday, I am a creationist technically but I can recognize the difference between a bible and a biology textbook.

Any suggestions on finding a normal group?
I mean we're doing this because our public schools suck not because we think the government is evil.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 9:53 PM on May. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• I agree with Virginiamama.

Just start one post on craigslist and host sort of "interviews" where you get to know each other and discuss curriculum etc. If you don't think it is a good fit then you don't have get together with them.

I get what you are saying about creation. I am religious but we believe in Intelligent design, meaning that God was the guiding force, designed and put evolution into action, not your strict creationism straight from Genesis. There is a great movie called "Intelligent Design" that explains what I mean.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:15 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Have you checked out the groups here on CM
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:40 PM on May. 8, 2013

• You can start your own.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:55 PM on May. 8, 2013

• My brother's children go to public schools but his wife does extra schooling with them at home. She started a learning type group for parents who public and homeschool. She first started with her church, sorority sisters and it grew from there.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:02 PM on May. 8, 2013

• I have no issue with normal libertarians who just think that the government is too involved in our lives. My Dad's actually one but thinking that the government is trying to kill us is just a bit too annoying to deal with daily.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 9:57 PM on May. 8, 2013

• I guess I could but I'm not sure where to start to be honest.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 9:58 PM on May. 8, 2013

• Well, I'm not sure what the groups are like in your area, but the one we belong to, I don't have to deal with anyone daily. By choice, I am friends with other members on Facebook as well as within the group, but the group does not get together daily, or even weekly. We get together when we schedule things, which can happen once a month, once every few months, a couple times a week - whatever it happens to be. So far, I've yet to find someone in the group that I disagree so strongly with that I can't deal with being around them, but even if I did, there are enough people at our gatherings that you would be able to easily avoid someone if that were the case.

My suggestion would be to give a group or two a shot - get together once or even a few times and see how it goes. If it is as bad as you think, then don't go back and start your own. But you might be surprised to learn that it's not going to be what you picture.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:04 AM on May. 9, 2013

• @wendythewriter Once every two weeks is pretty common and when my Mom did homeschooling with us we met every Friday for an activity.
    My son is a very social person so I wanted a more active group because it's only us and his baby sister at home, and we can't afford a bunch of activities.

I tried a few and couldn't even stand their news feed on facebook because it was all about conspiracies about fluoride, pesticides, immunizations, baby formula, raw milk, etc... My degree is in public health and it's been suggested that I'm too educated by 'the man' for lack of a better term.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 3:06 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Normal homeschooler and libertarian here. LOL I belong to many normal groups. Check yahoo groups and facebook. Print up cards and leave them places. Put adds up at your library. Start your own yahoo groups. If you are looking there may be others looking as well. You may have to willing to travel to find one you like. Good luck and let me know if I can help you in any way.
    jen2150

Answer by jen2150 at 7:55 AM on Jun. 30, 2013