Why is it...

...that people always say "if you need help reach out to me" and then when you do need them they make excuse after excuse?

I have battled depression for years and currently going through a very difficult time. People are always saying if you need something let me know and when I get up the courage to reach out those same people have a million and one excuses.

MChildressDem

Asked by MChildressDem at 10:04 PM on May. 8, 2013 in Health

• I've found that to be true. One way to get past that is to ask people for something specific, which is less intimidating than saying you're going through a ifficult time. Ask if someone will go out for coffee, see a movie with you, help you with yard work, something practical. I hope yo feel better soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:31 PM on May. 8, 2013

• I'm sorry that's going on... I fight with depression too, & I've found Ballad's advice to be good. Depression is hard for those who have never experienced it to wrap their heads around, which can make them unsure of how to help. I've also found that it's much easier to talk with a fellow sufferer. I always call my aunt when I have dark days, because she understands how much depression lies. Hugs, & I hope you get some IRL support. If not, you can always vent here!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:56 PM on May. 8, 2013

• That's very true.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:58 PM on May. 8, 2013