Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do I get insurance after a job loss???

It will be another few months before we get husband lost his Job and we have 2 little girls....does anyone have any websites or suggestions for short term coverage??? Please help! Thank you!


Asked by calliesmommie at 12:23 AM on May. 9, 2013 in Health

Level 22 (14,987 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • Cobra is very expensive. Call your Pediatrician & explain the problem. They will only charge you a fraction for the childrens visits. The State will pick up the rest. They will take care of it for you at the Dr.s office. For your own health care you'll have to pay out of pocket or contact an Insurance Broker & see if they can get you a less expensive plan for Hospitalization even until your DH gets a job with benefits.


    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:04 PM on May. 9, 2013

  • Isn't that what COBRA is for?

    Answer by Dardenella at 1:49 AM on May. 9, 2013

  • Your local department of health and social services.

    Answer by staciandababy at 12:35 AM on May. 9, 2013

  • many insurance companies have individual and family plans where you pay by month. blue cross blue shield is a popular one.

    Answer by okmanders at 12:36 AM on May. 9, 2013

  • Kaiser Permanente is another pay-by-the-month option. I'm sorry for the hard times you are facing.

    Answer by Ballad at 12:40 AM on May. 9, 2013

  • Thank you all...I will check them out :)

    Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 12:55 AM on May. 9, 2013

  • COBRA?

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:31 AM on May. 9, 2013

  • Well ya but cobra is almost $1700 a month for us....without a job it's kinda hard to pay that

    Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 7:00 AM on May. 9, 2013

  • Do you need it to cover specific health issues you currently have, or is it just to be insured in case something comes up? If it's just to be insured just in case, you could look into clinics with sliding scales, or talk to your current doctor and see if they'd work with you for cash payments - some will lower the fees if you pay in cash, others will work out payment arrangements with you. That could be cheaper for you, if it's an option. Especially since you say this would only be short term.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 7:41 AM on May. 9, 2013