A Deep Desire to Breast Feed.

As some of you ladies know I am due in August. I am onnumber 3 and was unsuccessful at breastfeeding my first two that are now 9 and almost 7. I have a huge desire to succeed this time and can use ALL of the help and advice that you can dish out to me in regards too. I really want to pump to but don't have the income right now to rent one and they are so exspensive. DOes anybody know of any resources out there besides WIC we don't qualify that can help? Thanks so much.

momehopeful69

Asked by momehopeful69 at 12:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i know here in north carolina the woman's hospital give you a manual breast pump for free if you tell them you want to really breast feed and need too pump in order too go back to work after the 6 weeks i would check with your birthing hospital they might be able too help you
    Anonymous

• There are forms you can fill out and some insurance companies do actually cover breast pumps.

I think you should get all the books you can get your hands on. "The womenly art of breastfeeding" and "the breastfeeding book" are two extremely helpful books if you truly want to succeed.

Manual Pumps are not as expensive as electric and some women respond really well to them!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If you have a church or someone close to you that a member of a church, ask for help there. You could have someone check with the women to see if anyone could lend you one.
    AlleyK

Answer by AlleyK at 1:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My insurance company (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mass.) covered a breast pump for me...a very good one. Check with your insurance company. If you're a SAHM, you might not even need to pump. I actually only used mine once.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 1:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think its wonderful you want to breastfeed your baby mama, its a wonderful, natural thing for you to do!
    Its going to be better for you to build up a good and strong milks supply if you dont pump for the first 4 to 6 weeks, so maybe in that time while your exclusivly nursing at the breast, you can save up money and get the pump you want, I never did well with manual ones but you may be different than I was and they are definately less expensive than the electric ones are.
    Good luck to you!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 2:09 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• A lot of insurances will cover a hospital grade pump for free if your doctor rights you a "prescription
    " for one. i'm asking my doc for one today :) Good luck, and you've already done it twice so your chances are probably pretty good at success, you know what to expect realistically.
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2009