My son is 6 an he has bi-polar adhd an mild autism. He is not making friends at school or at daycare the teachers are getting mad at him bc he wont listen an he yells an throws things at them he was on medication but was taken off i dont want to have him on meds anymore but im afraid thats what im going to have to do again. I get bad reports from school and the daycare everyday im afraid hes going to be kicked out of everything im a single mother of two what am i doing wrong? I need help please

mommy.2.2

Asked by mommy.2.2 at 9:10 AM on May. 9, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He NEEDS to be on meds. You're only hurting him by keeping him off f it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:14 AM on May. 9, 2013

• ok ty are there any meds that anybody recommends he has been on so many different combinations.
    mommy.2.2

Comment by mommy.2.2 (original poster) at 9:20 AM on May. 9, 2013

• The thing you're doing wrong is not giving him medication. I don't like having to do it either, but my kids need it. It helps them function appropriately.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:20 AM on May. 9, 2013

• As for recommendations your doctor should know. I have one on Prozac and Methylin two on Risperidone and the adhd one also takes Metadate. Start with the lowest dose possible and adjust as needed. It's going to take time to figure out what will work best with your kid.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:23 AM on May. 9, 2013

• You just have to work consistently with the doc to find out what works. Not every med or combination is going to work for every person. It takes multiple visits, and med checks, etc. I don't have a kid with bipolar disorder or anything, but I do have one with ADHD, and I was diagnosed a couple years ago with PTSD, major depression, severe anxiety, and sensory processing disorder. Both of us have had to try different meds and go for rechecks, etc, and I have had to try several combinations(and I'm able to be off meds now! yay!). I hate having to give mine meds as well, but in the long run, it is for the best. At least for us. Do his teachers know of his diagnosis? And that he is not on medication right now? From what you've said they seem terribly insensitive. Get him back on meds, work with the doc, and try to have a sit down with the teachers.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:12 AM on May. 9, 2013

• You have to work very closely with the doctor to get the right combination of meds at the right dose, and sometimes, even when one combination/dose has worked beautifully for a long time, it stops working the way it was, and you go back to square one. Unfortunately, you just have to be vigilant and consistent. He also needs to begin understanding now, at a young age, that the meds will possibly always be a part of his life and that he will always have to communicate any changes with his doctor.

Also communicate with the school and daycare. Is he on an IEP at school? If he's not, he should be.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:47 AM on May. 9, 2013

• I am not a doctor but your son needs help and it sounds like you are not wanting to give it.
    I am not a fan of medicine but there are some that I simply have to have. Think of it like glasses. I can see, but with glasses I can see more and have a better life.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:10 PM on May. 9, 2013

• I agree with everyone else. Especially being Bipolar he needs to be on meds. I have seen other parents about to manage ADHD without meds but bipolar is very different. He will not just been hyper or have some behavioral problems he will cycle out of control and become a danger to himself and possibly others(as he is also a child making it even harder for him to control himself, it's hard enough as an adult with bipolar).

Constantly cycling on bipolar is a horrible feeling and the meds can help to ease that, it just takes time and trial and error to find the right combo of meds.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:43 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Very few parents WANT their kids on medication. But sometimes it's the only thing that will help. Talk to his doctor about the best options for him.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:25 PM on May. 9, 2013

• You don't want him on meds, but the meds help him. So you have to ask, what is more important: your desire to not medicate him or him being able to live a relatively normal, healthy, happy life?

The doctor is who you need to ask about what meds to put him on. If they don't work the first time, you try different doses, combos, and meds as required until you hit that mix that does work.

But it's clear that he needs meds, and as much as you might wish that weren't true, you have to deal with the reality of the situation as it is rather than how you wish it were.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:40 PM on May. 9, 2013