Do you let your kids have jelly?

i was at the pool last weekend and one of our neighbors was up there also with her kids. i packed PB & J's for them to eat at the pool and the other mom and i were casually chatting while the kids ate. she said her kids only get PB sandwiches, they aren't allowed to have jelly because she's a 'picky mom' (her words). i just shrugged it off. but i thought it was strange that her kids are allowed to have mcdonalds lol! i can see the whole HFCS issue that a lot of parents have issues with, but i personally think having it in moderation isn't a big deal.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:01 PM on May. 9, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• I have always had jelly in my house for the purpose of it being eaten by anyone who wanted it. Granted our were and are all homemade but still I find the things people are paranoid about kind of funny.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:04 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Yes. I try to buy local but if I can't then they eat smuckers or something.

Silly people don't quite get that corn is in everything if its not HFCS it is going to be something else.

Maybe I am glad I don't associate with other moms IRL. I couldn't take the constant need to one up the other.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:07 PM on May. 9, 2013

• She won't let them have jelly but she'll give them McDonalds.........what a moron.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:09 PM on May. 9, 2013

• That's one that I have never heard of before. No PB sure, but no Jelly? That's weird.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:12 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Yes. Peanut butter probably has as much sugar in it as jelly.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:13 PM on May. 9, 2013

• My son eats Jelly sometimes(he doesn't much car for it). I don't follow the HFCS thing. His school was adamant about it(pre-school). So I obliged but think it is ridiculous. Everything in moderation is more what we do. He does get mcdonalds every once in a while but doesn't much care for it, he would rather have a salad(I'm seriously just lucky lol).

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:26 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Yes they eat it when they have PB&Js. I mainly buy jam but have nothing against them using jelly.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:05 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Yep. Most of it I make myself but I'm not opposed to certain store bought kinds. And I can't control what they get at school.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:05 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Eating PB sandwiches without the jelly must be like eating putty ... poor kids.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 12:26 PM on May. 9, 2013

• I let them have it, but they aren't big fans of it regardless of what I allow. DS won't eat it at all and DD only eats Strawberry and we get the reduced sugar kind. I like the strawberry taste of that better than the regular, which seems too sweet to me. Come to think of it, I don't eat much jelly / preserves either.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:26 PM on May. 9, 2013