Why would you do this to a child?

My dd called me up at work from my mom's house crying. After talking to her for awhile I found out that they had painted flower pots for Mothers Day and they had her put a dead flower in her pot while everyone else's were in bloom and pretty. Guess they had run out of good flowers? If you don't have enough live ones for everyone then why wouldn't you call and ask one of the mom's to please stop and get one or wait until tonight to have the kids give their mom's their flowers and stick a good flower in the pot.

I know she can be a handful at times and I'm thinking that they would think she had killed it before she gave it to me but they don't know her around plants and animals. When she picks flowers she goes all the way to the ground so there's plenty of stem for the water. She's the one who helps to plant the gardens and she KNOWS the difference between a live and dead plant at 4.

I'd raise a stink but their program is tonight and only 3 more fun days left before she's in K. Luckily my mom had just bought a flat of flowers to plant so they are getting rid of the dead one and replacing it with one of the others.

That's my rant for the day.

baconbits

Asked by baconbits at 12:49 PM on May. 9, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• And the awesome Gramma saves the day! Good to hear it turned out ok.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:52 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Why do they think kids don't notice these things? Even if she didn't know the exact difference between live and dead plants, she would surely be able to tell the difference by the way it looked from the other kids plants.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:54 PM on May. 9, 2013

• I'd still make a stink. Maybe not today, but once she's done, I'd let them know exactly how crappy I think that was. And it was crappy! That's just awful to do that to a child. I hope she can get over it quickly.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:27 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Glad you mom had a pretty live plant for her to replace it with.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:42 PM on May. 9, 2013

• That's really sad :( I'm sorry that happened to your daughter.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:55 PM on May. 9, 2013

• aw how sad... you don't give a child a dead flower and the rest good ones, How fucked up is that?

I hope she is feeing better
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:56 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Seriously??? That is truly messed up. Sorry to your little one... :(
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:13 PM on May. 9, 2013

• I know I'd be pissed. That's awful. If you don't have enough, you don't do a project like that! Of all people, you would expect a teacher to understand that one!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:56 PM on May. 9, 2013

• That's really sad. I know there are many teachers who aren't like that. My sister and I don't get along, but I was really proud of her one year because I heard that her kindergarten class had done flower pots for Mother's Day, too, and planted sunflowers. All of them had grown big and beautiful except one, and the little girl was heartbroken. My sister told her to wait one more day and see what happened, and that night she dug up a pansy--completely different flower--from my mom's front yard and planted it in the pot. The next day, the little girl was in ecstasy. "Miss P.! Miss P.! It grew, it grew! It really grew!"
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:47 PM on May. 9, 2013

• That's FUCKED UP.

I'd still call and raise a stink. That is NOT acceptable, at all, for any reason.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:01 PM on May. 9, 2013