How am I driving?

Just something that crossed my mind due to our overzealous new friend in the R sections. There are companies that put an 800 number with "how am I driving" on the back of their trucks for people to call in if the driver is unsafe. Others put one on their packaging for questions or comments about their product or feedback on their service.

Wouldn't it be nice if each denomination had one, where you could call in to provide the info on someone who was harassing you, including the general location and date, and they could pass it on down through the chain of command to find the appropriate clergy member to deal with the person giving them a bad name directly? Or, in cases like this one, where a general location is known, but not a name, they can issue a memo to all the congregations that it's time for a refresher on show rather than tell.

Alternately, if you know someone who is going above and beyond, you could call and have it passed down to give them recognition they'd never dream of seeking out on their own.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:55 PM on May. 9, 2013 in Religious Debate

• That's sort of a good idea, actually!! However, I have this gut feeling that our new friend here attends a church where this type of "hit and run" behavior is encouraged... Ive been in many churches in my lifetime, and I can picture hers in my head. It makes me shudder. I was actually a part of a church once who kicked me out bc I "obviously did not have enough faith in God, or I would be cured of my migraines!!" Really? Crap like this goes down all the time. All it takes is a bunch of fanatics to have the misfortune to find each other.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:02 PM on May. 9, 2013

• I think sometimes people like to smokescreen. My parents had a friend who went full bore Jim and Tammy in the 80's. Gave up drinking and swearing and tried to make my dad watch Eagle's Nest videos every time we visited. It pretty much destroyed their friendship. When the friend's brother found out (he was the one who introduced him to the flock, so to speak), he sat him down for a very long talk about how he was doing it wrong. Unfortunately, he'd alienated a lot of people by then, but he mellowed a bit. (when the scandal broke, it pretty much disillusioned him completely, but that was a ways down the road)
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:11 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Accountability is always a great thing.... As a Christian I would have THOUGHT that since we know God is always watching we would behave accordingly... but some people do need another human to chastise them.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:15 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Theoretically, it sounds like a great idea and I'd be all for it. But in practice, how one should live out her faith is very subjective. There are unfortunately a lot of clergymen out there who would think our enthusiastic but misguided friend is doing a good job.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:41 PM on May. 9, 2013

• They do have a number. It's called a church and most of them are usually listed in the phone directory. Just FYI, Individuals are not always operating in a unified manner with their church. That being the case, you can just imagine how much more so it can be with churches not operating in a unified manner with their denominations. Another thing, Jesus was not a Methodist, Baptist or Catholic, etc. so you'd be hard presssed to know who has it right unless you are saved, sanctified, reading your Bible and following the leading of the Holy Spirit. These problems go back as far as the church does, found in the New Testament in Pauls letters.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:26 PM on May. 17, 2013

• that is a good idea. I was not very happy when I was harassed either.
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 7:46 AM on May. 18, 2013