Have you ever been nearly attacked or accosted by a stranger?

It happened to me twice when I was in my late 20's. First time I was shopping at a store for binoculars for my DH after work. There was a well dressed dark skinned man casually strolling around that dept. So I asked if he could help me & he said yes. I asked if he could hand me the binoculars from behind the counter so I could see them. He said "Oh I don't work here". I apologized. When I left it was still light out & I was waiting at a light to leave the parking lot. I had a new car. I got bumped in the back of the car & looked in my rear view mirror & it was him. He got out & said roll down your window. I said "NO"! He tried to open my door but it was locked. I was pinned between his car & inches from the car in front of me. Thankfully the light changed & I took off. He chased me for miles & I drove very fast. I was working at the jail at the time so I drove back in that direction & drove to the gatehouse. I yelled to the Officer there to come over. He knew me. I was shaking & the guy was just gone. Stupidly I could not identify what make, model or plate he had.

A few years later I went to get hanging flower baskets for my Mom & MIL at a local nursery. It was daylight & I was loading the flowers into the trunk of my truck. I was basically alone in the lot & I saw a man get out of a car & approach me. I threw my handbag into the front of the truck from the trunk. I held my keys between my fingers at my side & I stopped him approaching me by holding out my left arm. I said "WHAT?" he said "let me use your phone" I said "I have no phone". he said "i know you do" I told him to go into the nursery to use the phone. All this time I was thinking how I could get his face & grind it into the gravel parking lot after I gouge his eyes out! He lunged for me & I could smell his BO. I stepped back & started to swing when I hear a shopping cart rolling on the gravel Two older Women came around the side of my truck & stopped & just stared. He ran & drove away. I was shook. I didn't shop alone again for years. Now I am much more aware of my surroundings. Do you have any stories to share?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 1:28 PM on May. 9, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Continued: Her husband came back half an hour later, about the time that the police showed up, and said that he and Annie chased the man to his car but couldn't catch him. He did get a license plate number, however, and the police picked him up the next day. He had spent most of the night at the hospital getting stitches in his wrist, the back of his leg, and his his shoulder where Annie bit him, trying to keep him from chasing me. We found out that he was a registered sex offender and spent several years in jail for raping another ten year old girl. I was really grateful to Annie for rescuing me and I was really lucky that she was able to climb out six foot fence, which she had never done before, and never did after that either.
    Cowgirl_Coyote

Answer by Cowgirl_Coyote at 8:16 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Anon, the second man was Latino. I am not that either BTW. I thought the dark skinned man was attractive as is my DH! SO FU!
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 6:59 PM on May. 10, 2013

• Oh Cowgirl! That is a scary story & you were so young. Thank goodness for Annie :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 9:04 PM on May. 9, 2013

• When I was ten, I was getting off the bus and there was a car sitting at the bus stop. I thought it belonged to another kid's parent, waiting to pick up their child at the bus stop. The other kids scattered because I was the only one that had to walk down the dirt road to get to my house. A man got out of the car and started to follow me down the road. I didn't have a phone and there were no other houses. I started to run and he started to chase me. I got really scared because he was catching up to me and started to scream for help. Luckily for me, our golden retriever Annie jumped our fence and ran up the road. She lunged at him and bit him on the wrist. He shoved her off and she stood between me and him, growling. I ran to the nearest house, which was a quarter of a mile away, and Annie kept him from chasing me. My neighbor's husband went out with his gun to get Annie and the wife called the police and my parents.
    Cowgirl_Coyote

Answer by Cowgirl_Coyote at 8:09 PM on May. 9, 2013

• It turned out that guy had noticed a bunch of disabled women waiting for the bus at that stop because we were all rehearsing a play put on by physically handicapped actors. We tried to get an unmarked patrol car to hang out at that intersection, but it didn't happen. The asshole victimized two other women, and then he decided to mess with a double leg amputee who happened to have incredible upper arm strength and serious self defense training. I don't know what he did about his broken hands, but I do know that once in a while, the universe sees that justice is served.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:28 PM on May. 9, 2013

• I was waiting for the bus on a late evening when I was nineteen. I had a male friend with me who was also blind. This guy came and sat down right between us on the bus bench. He had a Walkman, and he put the headphones with loud music on my friend, who took them off right away. But in the second my friend had taken to react, the guy had told me, "Don't move, don't yell, I've got a knife." He sat there for ten or fifteen minutes, fondling my breasts and thighs, and trying to get to more interesting places but I wouldn't move my legs for him. I didn't dare say a word or call for help because I didn't know if anyone was around, which later made my friend angry because he had no idea what was going on. Eventually a bus came, and my attacker said "thank you" to me and got on. I felt so ashamed, and people were mad at me because I did nothing to stop the situation, but I was scared to death I'd only make it worse if I tried.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:25 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Nope. But I've been attacked by my ex-husband and lets say he didn't fare well. I fight dirty.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:30 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Not yet
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:10 PM on May. 9, 2013

• him around town and just everywhere. He disappeared. Come to find out... he was a registered sex offender... did time for rape in another state. Have not seen or heard from him in YEARS. Scary situation, as a single mom at the time, I bought a gun and had my guy friends with me ALOT.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:59 PM on May. 9, 2013

• When I was in school (college) I was nice to EVERYONE. Just a friendly person. Well, I became friends with a disabled man, about 35 yrs. old, I was 22. We would talk between classes and about projects etc. As the semesters wore on, I realized he was suddenly in all my classes, but had a different area of study... he would start coming to the school even when he had no classes just to talk.

Well, he tells a close friend of mine that he just knows that we are meant to be together, the only thing keeping us apart is our religion. He is Jewish I am Christian. Then I notice his truck behind me on my way home from school... then I notice a strange truck driving slowly by my house at odd hours. Then I get home and go to unlock my door and the center of the deadbolt falls out in my hand... I avoided him at all costs, notified my professors of the problem and he stopped going to school all together and I stopped noticing
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:57 PM on May. 9, 2013