Have you ever been nearly attacked or accosted by a stranger?

It happened to me twice when I was in my late 20's. First time I was shopping at a store for binoculars for my DH after work. There was a well dressed dark skinned man casually strolling around that dept. So I asked if he could help me & he said yes. I asked if he could hand me the binoculars from behind the counter so I could see them. He said "Oh I don't work here". I apologized. When I left it was still light out & I was waiting at a light to leave the parking lot. I had a new car. I got bumped in the back of the car & looked in my rear view mirror & it was him. He got out & said roll down your window. I said "NO"! He tried to open my door but it was locked. I was pinned between his car & inches from the car in front of me. Thankfully the light changed & I took off. He chased me for miles & I drove very fast. I was working at the jail at the time so I drove back in that direction & drove to the gatehouse. I yelled to the Officer there to come over. He knew me. I was shaking & the guy was just gone. Stupidly I could not identify what make, model or plate he had.

A few years later I went to get hanging flower baskets for my Mom & MIL at a local nursery. It was daylight & I was loading the flowers into the trunk of my truck. I was basically alone in the lot & I saw a man get out of a car & approach me. I threw my handbag into the front of the truck from the trunk. I held my keys between my fingers at my side & I stopped him approaching me by holding out my left arm. I said "WHAT?" he said "let me use your phone" I said "I have no phone". he said "i know you do" I told him to go into the nursery to use the phone. All this time I was thinking how I could get his face & grind it into the gravel parking lot after I gouge his eyes out! He lunged for me & I could smell his BO. I stepped back & started to swing when I hear a shopping cart rolling on the gravel Two older Women came around the side of my truck & stopped & just stared. He ran & drove away. I was shook. I didn't shop alone again for years. Now I am much more aware of my surroundings. Do you have any stories to share?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 1:28 PM on May. 9, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Continued: Her husband came back half an hour later, about the time that the police showed up, and said that he and Annie chased the man to his car but couldn't catch him. He did get a license plate number, however, and the police picked him up the next day. He had spent most of the night at the hospital getting stitches in his wrist, the back of his leg, and his his shoulder where Annie bit him, trying to keep him from chasing me. We found out that he was a registered sex offender and spent several years in jail for raping another ten year old girl. I was really grateful to Annie for rescuing me and I was really lucky that she was able to climb out six foot fence, which she had never done before, and never did after that either.
    Cowgirl_Coyote

Answer by Cowgirl_Coyote at 8:16 PM on May. 9, 2013

• When my friend and I were teens we would walk to this store tat was about 2 miles from our home. On the way there a man in a sports vehicle asked us if we wanted a ride we said no and just kept walking. As we were leaving the store we saw the very same car slowing driving next to us and we ran into one of the strip mall stores and the car speed off.

Another was when I was 17 I was working at a grocery store. The store had a rule that workers park on the west side of the store. I got off at 11pm one night and was walking to my car when a man approached me asking me for some change ad I said I didn't have any, then he ask for a ride and I said no. I as well had my keys in my hand in defensive mode and he jumped at me and grabbed me at that very moment a male co-worker came out and screamed at the guy and the guy ran off. From that point on it was a rule that no female worker would walk outside alone after the sun was down cont.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:47 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Nothing that scary, but scary. My husband and I were getting home late one night and parked on the street. It was like 1am, and we lived on a REALLY quiet street. Suddenly a man appeared walking down the sidewalk towards our car and I pointed it out to my husband who said it was probably just some random and ignored me. Moments later the guy ran up to the passenger side door where my husband was sitting (we were still gathering our things to get out) and pointed a gun at us and started screaming. I froze at first thinking it was a joke, then panicked and thought about honking the car as loud as I could but didn't want him to freak and shoot (still don't know if it was loaded, or even a real gun.) We got out, he demanded my husband empty his pockets and then he ransacked the car while we ran away. When the police arrived we noticed all he stole, besides my husband's wallet with no money in it, was my $10 flea market purse.....
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:47 PM on May. 9, 2013

• that female working there were not allowed to walk alone to their car without someone with them.
    LostSoul88

• ......with nothing but my cheap make up in it, the garage door opener, and my cell phone (which at the time was a cheap prepaid one). My wallet with all cash and credit cards was still on the floor!!! Oh, and the burgers we'd just bought. Anyway, because we realized later that this idiot was driving in front of us while we were going up our street, my husband caught the license plate because it was personalized and used the same letters as my husband's initials. The police were able to track the dumbass down and we dealt with going to trials over the next 3 years to testify about it. There were several other victims that the police were able to tie this guy too!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:51 PM on May. 9, 2013

• When I was in school (college) I was nice to EVERYONE. Just a friendly person. Well, I became friends with a disabled man, about 35 yrs. old, I was 22. We would talk between classes and about projects etc. As the semesters wore on, I realized he was suddenly in all my classes, but had a different area of study... he would start coming to the school even when he had no classes just to talk.

Well, he tells a close friend of mine that he just knows that we are meant to be together, the only thing keeping us apart is our religion. He is Jewish I am Christian. Then I notice his truck behind me on my way home from school... then I notice a strange truck driving slowly by my house at odd hours. Then I get home and go to unlock my door and the center of the deadbolt falls out in my hand... I avoided him at all costs, notified my professors of the problem and he stopped going to school all together and I stopped noticing
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:57 PM on May. 9, 2013

• him around town and just everywhere. He disappeared. Come to find out... he was a registered sex offender... did time for rape in another state. Have not seen or heard from him in YEARS. Scary situation, as a single mom at the time, I bought a gun and had my guy friends with me ALOT.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:59 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Not yet
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:10 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Nope. But I've been attacked by my ex-husband and lets say he didn't fare well. I fight dirty.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:30 PM on May. 9, 2013

• I was waiting for the bus on a late evening when I was nineteen. I had a male friend with me who was also blind. This guy came and sat down right between us on the bus bench. He had a Walkman, and he put the headphones with loud music on my friend, who took them off right away. But in the second my friend had taken to react, the guy had told me, "Don't move, don't yell, I've got a knife." He sat there for ten or fifteen minutes, fondling my breasts and thighs, and trying to get to more interesting places but I wouldn't move my legs for him. I didn't dare say a word or call for help because I didn't know if anyone was around, which later made my friend angry because he had no idea what was going on. Eventually a bus came, and my attacker said "thank you" to me and got on. I felt so ashamed, and people were mad at me because I did nothing to stop the situation, but I was scared to death I'd only make it worse if I tried.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:25 PM on May. 9, 2013