How do you care for tadpoles?

I just set up an aquarium for some tadpoles that a family member found when opening a pool. I am trying my best to care for them as well as possible but I've heard they are very fragile and that a majority of them will surely die. :-( Does anyone have any tips on how to sustain the little buggers? Habitat, diet, or otherwise. Thanks!

ashleyaction

Asked by ashleyaction at 2:07 PM on May. 9, 2013 in Pets

• I'd call a local Pet Store & ask them. I guess you need somewhere for them to crawl up on when they turn into frogs.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:09 PM on May. 9, 2013

• I Googled "care of tadpoles" and found a ton of information.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:11 PM on May. 9, 2013

• I've read all the basic care information, I just wondered if anyone had any good tips :-)
    ashleyaction

Comment by ashleyaction (original poster) at 2:13 PM on May. 9, 2013

• We grow tadpoles for my daycare kids. They eat algae. Usually, if you scoop out the water that they were living in at the time, that will sustain them. I suggest scooping extra and saving it so that you can replace it when they eat the stuff in it. Also, I think putting it by the window helps more algae to grow. I honestly don't mess with them. It's the pre-k teacher that does it and I have the four year old class after school. Try googling it. It is really neat to see them grow and change. I love watching it. They do die pretty easily. She starts out with about twenty tadpoles and she ends up with anywhere from 2-5 frogs.
    Cowgirl_Coyote

Answer by Cowgirl_Coyote at 7:31 PM on May. 9, 2013

• They 'die' easily because they're carnivorous and eat each other. That's why there are so few grow up to be frogs.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:38 AM on May. 10, 2013