My 3 month old will not go to sleep by herself. It is my fault, she has gotten used to going to sleep while I breastfeed her in the sidelying position. This is my first baby and I don't know what to do. I tried to get her to sleep other ways, she just screams and crys until she is covered in sweat and gasping for air. Please help!!!!

Sleep question

HiLLaRyEmum2be

Asked by HiLLaRyEmum2be at 8:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mine all did this. so i just slept with them. when they fell asleep i would sneak away lol. they got to an age when they could go to bed by themselves. she might just need your comfort, and she is still really young
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 8:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• This is so normal for babies! I coslept with mine until they were old enough to crawl off the bed. By then they didn't need me to nurse them to sleep as much. Now they both go to sleep with no problem. Don't worry! And sleeping on the side is best for small babies anyway (on the stomach they can sufficate and on the back they can choke on spit up or vomit). I wouldn't worry. You're doing OK.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• shes 3 and you breastfeed her still? hmmm.. its called tough love.. let her cry it out a few nights. and youre right it is your fault!
    Anonymous

• My son did this as well. I taught him to sleep in his own crib at 4 mths and he has slept in his own bed ever since. It was hard he kind of cried it out with me posted up next to the baby monitor like a psycho checking on him every so many minutes to make sure he hadn't messed his pantilooms.
    gustafae

Answer by gustafae at 8:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• All four of my nursed before falling asleep. My 2nd and 4th(now 3months) both preferred sleeping on their side. When I had my first the school of thought was to put babies on their stomach to sleep, by the second child it was their side, by the third it was the back. I personally prefer them on their side because if they do spit up they are not laying in it. Nursing them to sleep is soothing to them so why not do it, I just quickly shift my 3month old into her bed when she's asleep. Just remember, you have to do what's best for you and your baby. Good luck!
    wegot4

Answer by wegot4 at 8:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I still nurse my 7 month old to sleep for naps and bedtime. he slept with me until a few weeks ago so that I could nurse him during the night. now I carry him to his crib after he falls asleep so that my husband and I can have our bed back. I know it's frustrating to be the only person who can get the baby to sleep, but just do what works for you.
    sbailey

Answer by sbailey at 9:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Anonymous--stop being a bitch. Anyway, try rocking her or setting up a different bedtime routine. Make sure she gets time with you and make sure you have a clear bedtime. Try a warm bath, then lotioning, then dressing and swaddling, then rocking her. This is what I do for my baby and it helps her. Tonight, I warmed up my heating pad and laid her on it and then swaddled her--she loved it!
    mrsmarklewis

Answer by mrsmarklewis at 10:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

mrsmarklewis

Answer by mrsmarklewis at 10:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Getting a routine and doing it every night will help. Giving her something that smells like you will help. Saying the same words will teach her. Babies have to cry some. It teaches them to self comfort. That's healthy and needs to be done. Have you read "Babywise"? It's got a lot of different methods. I always rocked mine and sang to them. Then I'd tell them it's time for night night and I'd lay them down and pat and kiss them and then walk out. There were times they cried but they got over it and the crying got shorter and shorter. It's hard to get them to sleep alone when they've been sleeping with you but it's better that way. If you have more children it will get harder.
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 10:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• shes three months old this is normal try holding her and feeding her and then put her into the crib.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 10:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2008