I used steel polish on my granite countertops.will that ruin my countertops?

Just now I realized I accidentally used steel polish on my granite countertops!I was in a cleaning frenzy b/c I'm hosting people for dinner this evening. Steel polish won't ruin my countertops right?It was just a one time screw up after all :(

12littlemomma18

Asked by 12littlemomma18 at 3:21 PM on May. 9, 2013 in Home & Garden

• If it was abrasive it might have caused abrasion. If you notice the shine gone or can feel a lot of the particles in the granite, it may have removed the finish. But it can be refinished.

Answer by Bmat at 4:01 PM on May. 9, 2013

• See if there is a website listed on the container and contact them to make sure. But I would go over the counters with a wet soft cloth and wipe them down good. We were told that finely finished granite does not need to be polished.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 4:42 PM on May. 9, 2013

• It depends on how much force you used in scrubbing. If you had to put your elbow into it, it probably did scratch it. There are non-abrasive powder, liquid and gel cleansers for granite.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:29 PM on May. 10, 2013