Can someone help me understand the reading level system in public schools?

im sure it varies too.. but im trying to decipher what a level 8 means for my daughter, so that i can upgrade our book selection at home with books according to the level she's on. i think what we have is way too easy for her. according to her teacher, she's reading on a level 8. and they only need to be at a 4 to advance to first grade. she's in kindergarten. any information is appreciated, thank you!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:49 PM on May. 9, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• looking back at my question it doesnt seem clear what im asking. basically, when im shopping for books, what should i look for? they dont have "level 8" on the shelves, last i checked anyway. it usually goes by grade (pre, k, 1st, etc) or skill (beginner, advanced) thats what i want to figure out
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:50 PM on May. 9, 2013

• I could be wrong and you might ask the teacher but it sounds like they might be using the DRA system maybe?? I think that is what they use here too. This might be helpful...

http://www.readinga-z.com/correlation-chart.php
    joisie1978

Answer by joisie1978 at 3:59 PM on May. 9, 2013

• I would start with maybe a trip to the library - check out books at various levels, and find which ones are the ones you want for her. Then I'd go to the bookstore and ask a clerk where on the shelves to find those specific books. Once you find those books, they should be surrounded by others on the same level so that you can just pick and choose among them. That would be easier than trying to match up the system the school uses with the system that the book publishes use, because you can be pretty well assured, there's not going to be any simple explanation of level X = level Y.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:59 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Oh! Meant to also add that Scholastic does a pretty good job of listing each book's reading level ( a few different types) on their website so that is really helpful to browse that way and see what is in that level. Also, a lot of books these days have the reading level on the back of the books so just flip it over and look at the back towards the bottom and you might see it there too.
    joisie1978

Answer by joisie1978 at 4:03 PM on May. 9, 2013

• Scholastic has a good book equivalent finder to help you out.

http://www.scholastic.com/bookwizard/

I don't get the level thing either. Here, to pass Kindergarten the kids need to be reading "Level D" books, whatever the hell those are. My daughter is reading "Level E" so I'm not too worried about it.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:44 PM on May. 9, 2013

• There are different reading systems that schools purchase, and they all have their own method for measuring reading levels. Our school used DRA,

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:34 PM on May. 9, 2013