I worked for a lady for two days.

I found an ad on Craigslist from a lady who says she was paying 10$ hourly.
I worked for her Wednsday , 8 hours. Then Friday, 7 hours.

I ended up quitting, because she was making me split hours with two other people, and she didn't come off as professional. She never asked for id/license. Didn't make us fill out paper work. I guess she was testing out. When asked if she paid for training she said yes.

Well I text her a few days after I quit, asking her to pick up my check, or mail it to me. She never replied. I feel like she shouldn't get away doing this to people. Having them take time out there's days to work for her nail salon, and not pay people. I don't care if the money isn't much. It was still my time!!

I have her texts telling me to come in.
Is there anything I can do?!'

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on May. 9, 2013 in Money & Work

• contact the department of labor and pray she has a business license if not you can try small claims court and pray you have this all in writing.
    Anonymous

• Did you fill out a time card or anything of the sort? We're there any employees that could verify that you were there and doing work? If you were working on customers, did you display your professional license?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:43 PM on May. 9, 2013

• report her
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:44 PM on May. 9, 2013

• This is what you get for thinking you're going to get legitimate employment on Craigslist.
    Was any of this work performed topless and were there cameras involved?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:00 PM on May. 9, 2013

• If you were performing custodial or clerical jobs, or if you are a licensed professional that did work on clients then I would recommend getting an employment attorney or filing a report with the department of labor. An attorney might get you a settlement sooner than DoL, but they will take a chunk of it for themselves. DoL may end up auditing her payroll and nobody likes that.

If by chance you are not a licensed professional and were working on clients hair or nails, suck it up and move along. Fines for doing those jobs without a license are far higher than what you think you might have earned.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:09 PM on May. 9, 2013

• I was a receptionist.
    And yes, I regret looking on Craigslist!!

I did fill out a time card, and there are cameras.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:31 PM on May. 9, 2013

• You can try to fight it since there were cameras and you filled out a time card, but honestly, you'll probably spend more than you get. Even getting copies of the camera pics and the time card might be difficult. It sucks, but I'd probably just chalk it up to a learning experience and be glad I got out while the getting was good, before I lost more tim.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:34 PM on May. 9, 2013

• This might be a semi lesson because you should never take any type of job without the paperwork being filled out. This protects the employer but it protects you as well. You may be SOL. But I would contact your division of labor and see if they can help you. Get that craigslist ad and print it off. Depending you might go to your local news station. Some of them really love to go after these people.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:09 PM on May. 9, 2013

• For that type of work, I would ask for half of the payment upfront, but generally, I wouldn't even trust those type of odd jobs. I was scammed before, too, by a lawyer! Never ever work for someone who doesn't have their own building, payroll or doesn't pay you upfront. Even dogsitters get paid upfront half the time. Don't work for someone you don't know or who is not well-known or recommended by friends. Report it to the IRS if you want her to get in trouble.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:26 PM on May. 10, 2013