teaching my chlid more than one language

hi all
I'm originally from South Africa but living in Israel with my fiancee and my daughter.We mainly speak hebrew to her except when I'm alone then I try to speak more english to her as a result she doesn't really talk and is almost 2 she knows many words but Iguess refusses to talk so I was wondering if any body knows any good dvd's that may help us?
thanx in advance

greenmaniac

Asked by greenmaniac at 1:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you dont need any dvds. you only need your mouth to teach her the language.

im german and my husband is us-american. so i speak german to her and my husband english.
    thats how she will learn both languages. she only "speaks" german so far, but she understands both.

she is 19 1/2 months old.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I'm sorry that I don't know any dvd's, but I wanted to applaud your teaching both languages. This will help her with languages always. Good for you!

Answer by Bmat at 1:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Just keep talking to her in both languages and she will pick it up. We speak an Indian language called Kannada but since we live in US my daughter is exposed to lots of english, at day care, from tv etc...she didn't speak either language until she was 16 months and then she started picking up both. I guess kids easily pick up the language that they are most exposed to. She understands both languages very well but talks more english than our language. So we try hard to speak ONLY our mother tongue at home since she doesn't get exposed to that language anywhere other than home.
    Anonymous

• M. Robertson is right. The best way to raise bilingual children is for one parent to speak exclusively in one language and one in the other.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Yep - kids don't learn other languages from TV. If she is comprehending enough to enjoy a kids program (like Sesame Street) then you can let her watch the occasional half hour of TV in that language. But otherwise, kids learn by hearing people and talking to them.
    She will be behind her single language peers for a while since her brain is busy learning two sets of words and two sets of grammar rules but she'll catch up and probably pass them by age 4.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2009