I felt like crying.

My children have just recovered from colds etc. and i usually do the shop n monday's but i was just to tired yesterday so i did it today. I got the trolley and put my 5 and 19month olds in the the seats. My 2 year old was sat in the trolley playing with some toys while my oldest 3 were walking it was all fine until we got to the "sweety isle"(good i hate them lol). They were all moaning going "mum get that one " or "i want this". While i obvouisly caught the attention of a shopper she couldn't have been much older than me and she had a little girl around 3 and a baby boy. And she was shopping with an older woman. Who said "Ki, i don't want you ever to end up like that young girl, i want you to be able to have a life". That hit me so hard i put my head down and hurried the boys off. They were fine after that and i did the shop got into the car and i could tell i had tears down my cheek. Would you have said anything ?

Mummytomore

Asked by Mummytomore at 1:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would have said, "I'm doing the most important thing with my life I can, raising children!"
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 2:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• What a nasty, horrible woman. With someone like that, saying something to her wouldn't have done a bit of good. I'm sorry you had to hear someone being so mean.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I would have told her I have the best life I could've ever dreamed of!
    Anonymous

• Oh my goodness. I am sorry that you had to experience that. All I can suggest is to "consider the source" the woman had no class to be talking like that. Shame on her. You know you are a good and worthwhile person. Don't let someone else's uniformed opinion hurt you. You can't control them, but you can control your reaction. Hold your head high and be proud of yourself. It also occurs to me that the woman may not have actually believed what she was saying to her daughter, she may just have grabbed the opportunity on seeing you with several little ones to try to teach her daughter. If it wasn't you it would have been the next young mother that she saw. You just happened to be in her line of sight at the time. I also suspect that you were hurt so badly, even though you know you're a good person, because you've been under stress from the sick kids. Bah! to the ignorant woman!

Answer by Bmat at 1:13 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I am so sorry that there are really rude people out their. No, I would not have said anything. That woman wasn't worth your time or effort. My middle two are 15 months apart, I have 4 kids. I had really stupid people say really awful things.

Just know that by not saying anything, you exhibited a more mature, cultured demeanor than that ridiculous woman.

Again, my heart goes out to you. You keep being a good mom to your little ones.
    chocolateroses

Answer by chocolateroses at 1:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I would have said, "kids, don't listen to that woman. I don't want you to repeat what she says and grow up to be a heartless bitch or an asshole." The woman would have heard and got the point better than the kids...who probably didn't pay much attention. They will though. It would be good to arm them against stupid bigotry while they are young. You could substitute the curse words...But I wouldn't. A bitch is a bitch. I would find the language appropriate.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Don't pay any attention to a cranky old lady trying to pass judgements on you in the grocery store. In the future you can tell that nasty lady and people like her that you have quite a lovely life that is full to the brim with love. I am sure it's hectic at times but it is the most rewarding life that a person can ask for. You don't have to snap back at her if it's not your style, but don't let her ignorant judgements and rude behavior shed one cloud on your sunny day!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• That was a mean, stupid, bad woman.

Yuck.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• im sorry!
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 2:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Don't listen to crazy people like that. Unfortunitely, we have crazy people like that everywhere and they should mind their own business but they don't because their's are much more unhappy.
    mom858

Answer by mom858 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2009