Creative fund raising solutions for fertility treatments

Does anyone have any creative ideas to raise money for fertility treatments?

ashleyaction

Asked by ashleyaction at 9:47 PM on May. 9, 2013 in Trying to Conceive

• Between the medical needs of your kids and the homeschooling of all three is a baby really in everyone's best interest?
    Anonymous

• it's adorable how you think you know me. :-) I didn't say it was for me silly, but you do presume correctly. I do have two children with special physical medical needs and one with severe anxiety. My husband and I share no biological children though and I would very much like to change that. I am also perfectly capable of homeschooling, caring for my existing children, and caring for a new baby, but thank you for your concern. I care for my great nephew and other small children quite a bit, lead a girl scout troop, volunteer at my children's current school 5 days a week and chair countless events among many other responsibilities. Somehow I still manage to be there for my kids every minute of every day, I guess it's a mom thing, eh?
    ashleyaction

Comment by ashleyaction (original poster) at 10:07 PM on May. 9, 2013

• To be perfectly honest, I'd have a hard time feeling super excited about contributing money for somebody else's fertility treatments. I think it's up to you whether you want another baby, but with all the problems in the world that need funding, you might find it hard to raise the money. When my sister needed fertility treatments, my parents got a second mortgage on their house and let her borrow the money, which she eventually paid back.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:28 PM on May. 9, 2013

• I think that if you need to fundraise for fertility treatments, as opposed to financing it yourself, it is probably something you need to reconsider. I get that the heart wants what it wants, but fertility treatments are really personal and payment for them should be as well. Well unless you live in a state where it is covered by insurance.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:43 PM on May. 9, 2013

• I have to wonder if a person can not pay for the fertility treatments, how will they be able to support a child.

I am sorry I would not.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:37 PM on May. 9, 2013

• I thought you were going to foster. Now you want a bio? Are you sure this isn't just baby fever?
    Anonymous

• @Dardenella

Fertility treatments are very very expensive. I could probably raise a child all 18 yrs and have some left over for college on what I would pay for fertility treatments.

Which is probably why I have never considered it.

I don't know about fundraising....yard sale? that is a lot of money to raise
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:11 AM on May. 10, 2013

• (At everyone but tntmom)

Thanks guys, you are just a ray of sunshine!!!! :P I'm kind of shocked by the number of people that completely ignored the question and jumped straight to the judgement that I should not have a child. Simmer down, I wasn't asking you for money personally. :p to clarify -YES I have considered adoption and fostering both as options. My mother was adopted and I have family that has fostered, I have so much extra love to give that I can't justify ignoring those considerations. I would LOVE to foster, I may wait until my children are grown though that's a question that hangs heavily on my heart, but that's a decision that I wont be making based on much more than what cafemom thinks I ought to do :p Yes, I want a child with my husband, but I'm not sure if it's "baby crazy" although you may call it what you like. I'm a dedicated mother with a husband that is an amazing father, we love our motley crew (cont)
    ashleyaction

Comment by ashleyaction (original poster) at 8:13 AM on May. 10, 2013

• and want to bring an "us" baby into the world very badly. Crazy badly you might say. It's not something that I've been thinking about for any short time either. We do have money, enough to support our children and give them everything they need and most of what they want. I don't have a ton of extra money to throw at lawyers or fertility treatments though but I am comitted and ambitious enough to look for alternative ways to add enough to our household income to reach my goals. I was hoping for some advice in that persuit but mostly I got self-rightous judgey judegment. Oh wells, I suppose it was even odds that this is what I would get. I am not looking for a hand out people, just a way to make some additional money for an additional expense while caring for the children I already have. Thank you for all the support, lol.

And tnt, sincerely I thank you for the yard sale idea. Unfortunately I give anything of (cont)
    ashleyaction

Comment by ashleyaction (original poster) at 8:17 AM on May. 10, 2013

• value to those I know who need it. I'm a little bit of a crazy person when it comes to charity, I can't help myself. I tried having a yard sale last year and then I realized that I never keep anything that anyone would want. :p Though my garage is filled with useless crap, lol. :-) Good idea though, thank you!
    ashleyaction

Comment by ashleyaction (original poster) at 8:18 AM on May. 10, 2013