Is early menopause possible at 33? adult content

I've always had normal periods, only got bad cramps and mild pms every third or fourth month. I've been on the pill for years, which has always kept my cycles as regular as clockwork. For the last 6-8 months, my periods have been strange. I wasn't even spotting but having cramps. I even took a pregnancy test a couple times.The past 2 months, I slightly spotted once or twice, but that was it. This month, I think I most my mind. Cramps that felt like I was miscarrying, but the worst was the mood swings, I was a complete psychpath, like nothing I ever experienced. This 'PMS' belongs in a mental asylum. I had 8-12 different states of being in an hour: despair where I sobbed, anger so intense I was scared to be around people, absolute fear, giddy laughter, panic, grief (over nothing!); no reason behind these things, I recall sobbing uncontrollably because my cat would one day die, overjoyed at the thought it was warm enough to wear a sundress, homicidally irate that my SO ate the last bowl of his own favorite cereal. I took midol, vicadin, even xanax - didnt help a bit (or it did and I can only imagine wht monster I would have been otherwise!). Out of sheer desperation, I went to the ER. I do NOT abuse the ER, this was beyond any pregnancy hormone meltdown, this was insane. They tested me for pregnancy, ect, said couldnt help me, see your regular gyno, ect. Well, the symptoms subsided. I went to the ER Monday morning. Cramps done, my cervix is fully dialated, no period. There was a small amount of spotting Monday or Tuesday. I thinks its possibly menopause. I've been having heat flashes and severe night sweats for about 6-8 months. I am looking for a gyno that's accepting patients and takes my insurance. In the meantime, dear Moms, what would you think of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on May. 10, 2013 in Health

• You're still on the pill?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:26 AM on May. 10, 2013

• I'm sure it's not very common, but I did see a TV show about it once. A couple of the women who suffered from early menopause were still in their teens even. I have a friend who got pregnant and miscarried at 38 and never had another period again at all--she's in her late forties now. So it can happen--I hope you find a doctor soon who can help you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:26 AM on May. 10, 2013

• The mood swings to that extent don't fit menopause. Everything else does, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:33 AM on May. 10, 2013

• Yes, still on the pill. Doctors did pregnancy test a Havent had a normal period in 6-8 months. I get cramps, maybe a tiny bit of spottiong, thats it. Cet hopital,. negative.rvix opens like I'm having regular period. Women are born with a definite number of eggs, correct? Well, it was determined when I was 16 I was dropping 3 eggs per cycle. This was not a hereditary thing, no twins at all; I got pregmant with quadruplets (2 fraternal twins , 2 identical twins - 3 eggs were fertilized. had miscarriage) Is it possible I used them all up? (I had to be given growth hormones for years as a child to make me grow. I made it to 5feet. Could these hormones have kicked my reproductive cycle into overdrive?) I'm finished with childbirthing, I have a 5yo and 10yo, perfectly content. Has anyone ever heard oif these smptoms, anything like this?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:39 AM on May. 10, 2013

• gdiamante- any ideas what would cause the wild mood swings? definitely hormones; i tried the depo provera shot immediately after miscarrying the quadrtuplets and this is what it did to me, only about 1/3-1/2 of the intensity. my mother acted quite erratic with menopause, she was 52.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:41 AM on May. 10, 2013

• If you're done having kids, I'd recommend you getting off the pill and looking at having your tubes tied or an endometrial ablation if your periods are horrible.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:52 AM on May. 10, 2013

• Birth control pills are known to cause mood swings. It's possible you've become more sensitive to them.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:54 AM on May. 10, 2013

• It can happen. I would visit with your gyno to determine if this is the issue.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:18 AM on May. 10, 2013

• There is something called perimenopause. My doctor mentioned it. From what I understand, it's not actual menopause but it can affect you in some of the same ways - changes to your periods, irregular periods, mood swings (to a point), etc. You can google it and find quite a bit of info.

I think it usually happens to women in their mid to late 30s, so you might be a little on the young side for it, but I'd say it's still a possibility. I would recommend checking in with your doctor just to be on the safe side.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:25 AM on May. 10, 2013

• You may want to consider a health condition outside of a gynecological one. I'd see your regular doctor as well to be sure. For example, I have a thyroid condition that stopped my period and gave me wicked mood swings for months before I got on medication - it could have killed me. Good luck momma!
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 8:39 AM on May. 10, 2013