My daughter is nine months old and like two weeks ago she had a seizure from a 104.7 fever which they said that the reason she had a seizure was becuz her fever rose really fast and right now her rectal temp is 99.1 and under her arm is 97.9 should I be worried??

Andr4de09

Asked by Andr4de09 at 3:05 AM on May. 10, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:09 AM on May. 10, 2013

• Well right now, no. I wouldn't even give Tylenol with those temps. She's half a degree above normal and currently fine. Stop worrying, mama. Just watch her and take it again if you're still concerned and she's showing signs of illness.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:09 AM on May. 10, 2013

• I'm just really paranoid now becuz of wat happened and yes I took it again and it was 98.4 (rectally) so I feel a little better
    Andr4de09

Comment by Andr4de09 (original poster) at 3:14 AM on May. 10, 2013

• I would just keep an eye on it right now and if it starts going up call the doctor on call. Good luck mama andI hope she is ok!
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:25 AM on May. 10, 2013

• I feel your pain. My son used to have those febrile seizures as well. He had one that shot to 107 for a few minutes and he stopped breathing! I was scared out of my boots for years afterwards. 99 is fine. Try to breathe and hang in there!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:25 AM on May. 10, 2013

• No as long as the fever is down she will be okay. I would keep her home for a week or so, just to let her recover from whatever illness caused the fever in the first place. Her immune system has been fighting this illness and it would be better if she didn't catch a secondary illness while her immune system is recovering. Very scary, but it sounds like she is on the mend.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:33 AM on May. 10, 2013

• To ease your mind, call the doctor and speak with the nurse or leave a message for the doctor. Ask for specific instructions as to what to do when she has a temp over 100.4 (what most docs consider a fever.) And then keep an eye on it.

I have a child who has febrile induced epilepsy. When he gets a fever, we treat it immediately, unlike with the other kids where we wait the fever out and let it do what it is supposed to do -fight infection. Seizures are scary, but as long as you pay attention (but try to not worry) everything will be fine.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:03 AM on May. 10, 2013

• Here's a link to some great information about what to look for, what do do, when to call your doctor. Please read all of it - knowledge is power and is also a great stress reducer.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/febrile-seizure/DS00346

We tend to worry more about things we don't understand which is a very good reason to find out as much as possible about what we fear :)

winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 9:30 AM on May. 10, 2013

• My dd had a febrile seizure when she was about 2, & for one of the only times in my life, I was that overly worried, nervous wreck of a mama!! The doc said they usually grow out of the danger zone around 5, so until she turned 5, anytime she felt even remotely warm I was stripping her down & putting cold rags on her head.... So I totally understand what you're going through. I'd just keep an eye on her & always have motrin on hand just in case... hang in there mama...
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 10:30 AM on May. 10, 2013

• I probably wouldn't be alarmed, but a quick call to the pediatrician should help set your mind at ease.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:33 AM on May. 10, 2013