Is it okay to leave a 4 year old and an 18 month old home alone

My son and his wife recently put the kids to bed, had friends come over then went into the detached garage to drink and play music with the garage door closed. My grandson woke up to go to the bath room and was screaming in fear when he couldn't find his parents, screaming "they left me alone. He came downstairs to my room and I kept him there the rest of the night. My son and daughterin law think this is okay and state they would do it again. I need to know what other people and grandparents think about this.

Conile50

Asked by Conile50 at 1:52 PM on May. 10, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• NO.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 1:58 PM on May. 10, 2013

• so you were there? thats not alone. and how far away is the detached garage? maybe they could teach their son that if he cant find them they are probably in the garage.

i probably wouldnt do what they did, but i dont see it as "leaving them home alone". they were on the property. thats like saying when i mow my lawn while my 2 year old naps ive left him alone.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:58 PM on May. 10, 2013

• My first impulsive is: NO!!!

But, then you stated " He came downstairs to my room and I kept him there the rest of the night." So, the kids weren't really alone. Now, granted they probably should've told you first so, you'd be aware.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:03 PM on May. 10, 2013

• Wait if YOU were there then the kids weren't alone. Furthermore they were still at the home just in a different area. It's not like you live on a farm and the detached garage is a 1/4 mile or further away from the house. You're talking a couple of yards at most. Now would I have say a baby monitor or something on me so I can hear the kids if they get up? Yeah, sure, that's just the kind of person I am. Is what your son did illegal, not by a long shot. If you don't like the way he is raising his kids perhaps you should consider he had you as an example of how it's "supposed" to be done.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:05 PM on May. 10, 2013

• They need to inform the other adults in the home they are leaving.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:07 PM on May. 10, 2013

• I agree with Kristi.. I would have had a monitor on me so I knew if he woke up and I would have been constantly checking on them but I don't think they were horrible for doing what they did. Also they KNEW that you were there so they most likely figured if anything did happen(like the child waking up) that you were there to help. Yes they should have told you AND had a baby monitor on, but still doesn't sound like they are horrible parents.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:17 PM on May. 10, 2013

• no it is not ok ......I put my son to sleep and if I go outside I have a monitor right next me at all times
    tigger3itch

Answer by tigger3itch at 2:21 PM on May. 10, 2013

• They should have let someone know and they use a baby monitor that reaches the garage.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:23 PM on May. 10, 2013

• Yeah they needed to have a monitor, especially for the littler one too.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:34 PM on May. 10, 2013

• I'm paranoid about things like this. I wouldn't have, unless I had a monitor. BUT, you were there, so they weren't really 'home alone', they were with grandma! Did you not know they were going to the garage?
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:42 PM on May. 10, 2013