Information about Pitocin (sp?)?

Just wondering what anyone's experience with pitocin is? Is it only used if you are not dialating? Does anyone know if you can still have an epidural if you have been given pitocin?

charlene29

Asked by charlene29 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can definitely have an epidural, and the drug is used as a synthetic form of oxytocin which is the natural chemical your body makes that induces labor naturally. But pitocin is just the man made form and they give it to women to induce labor.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 1:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• yeah you can get both.The epidural slows your contration and the pitocin speeds them up...so really your contraction would be moderate.Its fine girl...they just use it to speed things along!
    Anonymous

• PItocin causes very painful contractions and the just keep coming. If they give you pitocin you are def. gonna want and epidural. They gave it to me with my first two babies after the epi. b/c things slow down once you have an epi. They gave it to me after inducing me with the twins b/c I wasn't feeling my contractions.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 1:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I have 5 kids, and was induced 3 times, twice with pitocin. I think its evil LOL. My contractions were harder and more painful then natural labor or having my water broken. You can have an epidural with it. If they didnt allow it I probably would be in prison for murdering someone while delivering.
    Anonymous

• I was induced with pitocin and still received my epi, so yes you can have both.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• yes you can still have a epidural if you want one with my first my water broke and she caused her placenta too rip from the wall so i was bleeding bad but was not having contractions at all after they gave me the pitocin the contractions came on hard and strong only managed too deal with them for 6yrs so had too get the epidural
    Anonymous

• I had pitocin b/c I was a week over my due date and the doc didn't want me to wait any more. I also wanted a natural birth - so I did - without an epi. Hard but very possible. I was in labor for about 6.5 hrs, pushed for 0.5 hr and then - there he was!! I think the epi's are used too frequently and cause many women to have long, tiring labors that soemtiem result in C-sections that maybe could have been avoided if there hadn't been an epi. but it's totally up to your pain tolerance - focus, breathe and you'll get through it!
    lakecat

Answer by lakecat at 1:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I was given Pitocin because my contractions weren't coming regularly, even though I was fully dialated and effaced...for some reason my contractions weren't coming. Pitocin made them more regular. I didn't find them any more painful after Pitocin than before. Hmm.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 1:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Getting pitocin increases your risk of having a c section by 50%....the contractions are much stronger than natural contractions and because they squeeze baby so hard, it often leads to heart decels or "fetal distress" and that makes doctors nervous and then they push for the c section.
    Pitocin carrys several risks for mom and for baby, I dont see ANY reason it should be used unless a mom or babys life is at risk, and even then, im sure there is a better and safer way to deal with the situation.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 2:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I had pitocin with all three of my children my oldest I was in labor for 22 hours no pain meds. My middle one I was in labor for 7.5 hours no pain meds. My last one I was in labor for 15 hours and I finally broke down and had the epidural. Now I wish that I wouldn't have got it. My back hurts all of the time from the epidural. I probably could have held on the last 3 hours but I was hurting so bad. I have heard that pitocin makes the contractions harder and more painful than if you just went into labor. But I don't know because I never went into labor by myself. I was induced with all three. Good luck.
    emilyhopesmom

Answer by emilyhopesmom at 2:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2009