Don't nursing homes & hospitals have an obligation to notify family if...

a patient takes a turn for the worse? The nursing home called us the last time my uncle had to be sent to the hospital. This time they didn't & the poor man died alone. A simple phone call by either place & family could've been by his side in about an hour. No one deserves to die alone.

Would it do any good to report them to the state medical board? At least so that no other family has to go thru something like this?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:33 PM on May. 10, 2013 in Health

• Jesus! I'd think they'd both be obligated, or if they aren't, they ought to be. I'd rport the lapse on the part of the nursing home, especially, to the state board. The nursing home should have had an emergency contact on file and gotten in touch with someone immediately, at least that was the way it went when my grandma was dying in a care center three years ago. I'm sorry for your loss and the fact that you weren't notified in time so some of your family could be there.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:43 PM on May. 10, 2013

• Did they call at all? I mean, after he was gone? I think they do have to call, but is it possible that the way things happened, he was gone before they could call anyone? I would calmly talk to them and find out the exact circumstances of what happened and determine whether they truly failed to live up to their obligations, or if the way things happened prevented them from being able to.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:30 PM on May. 10, 2013

• Yes the should call. Without getting angry find out from them what happened.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:19 PM on May. 10, 2013

• As a nurse I can say we always notified family of big changes. However, I had several patients just die in their sleep over night. It happens. Investigate first. If he was a full code and he arrested CPR comes first, notifying family after the patient is transported. It is hard to judge a situation with so little information.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:46 PM on May. 10, 2013

• I think it depends on each states laws and also the contract with that nursing home. I would make sure to specify that in the contract that you want to be notified immediately. Talk to a lawyer and you might have a case. I think any judge can agree that it's disrespectful to the family. Heck, even the military has proper procedures of notifying the family.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:52 PM on May. 10, 2013

• That's awful. My great grandma recently had to go to a nursing home and I really don't like them. We get notified when she goes to the hospital but I don't know if all places do that. Seems like it should be a requirement but I don't know.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 7:11 PM on May. 10, 2013

• Do you think he may have asked staff not to contact family?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:09 PM on May. 10, 2013

• Well, I'd hope they would out of common decency, but obviously this is not the case. I'd certainly let SOMEONE know- the state board, someone.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:38 PM on May. 10, 2013

• Yes, just like in an emergency where an ambulance is needed, someone needs to be designated to call the family about changes in care for their loved one. It is horrible he died alone, I am so sorry!
    I would have raised HELL if that had happened!
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 10:46 PM on May. 10, 2013

• They (the nursing home) isn't being very forthcoming with details, b/c of HIPPA laws. The whole thing is just very frustrating.
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 7:10 AM on May. 11, 2013