Heathen symbol now approved for veteran's graves in military cemetaries

The good news:
nobody had to sue anyone this time
it didn't take 10 years of fighting to get it done, it only took 6 years of waiting

The bad news:
someone had to die before they would approve it (it would only be approved once there was a dead Heathen's family to request it)

This is part of the agreement when the Pentagon had its ass handed to it for only allowing privileged faiths to have representation in military burials. The horrible loophole they gave themselves - they will approve no symbol until it's requested. Meaning, a religious organization with a thousand enlisted members can request a symbol be available, but one of them has to die before the military will say yes.

Anyone else find that a bit passive aggressive?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:05 PM on May. 10, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I never thought there really were heathens! I thought it was just a figure of speech. See, you do learn something new every day. Although to me the symbol looks like a women's decolletage. LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:33 PM on May. 10, 2013

• I never thought there really were heathens

Yes, we really do exist, but probably not in any way related to what you think the word means.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:34 PM on May. 10, 2013

• Well, it does seem a shame that the symbol couldn't have been approved beforehand, but at least it can be used now.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:59 PM on May. 10, 2013

• Anyone else find that a bit passive aggressive?

Eh, I don't know if it's "passive aggressive" or just another fine display of "military intelligence" which has always been bassackwards.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:06 PM on May. 10, 2013

• It's about time they approved this. There is no reason they shouldn't have approved this a long time ago.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 5:54 AM on May. 11, 2013

• Pretty sad that it took someone dying to get it approved. That shouldn't be something that the family has to worry about when a member dies.

However, yay for the good news
    Sekirei

Answer by Sekirei at 10:00 AM on May. 11, 2013

• I agree that families should be able to use any religious symbol that best reflects the belief of that person, but I'm not big on cemeteries, headstones etc.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:41 PM on May. 11, 2013

• Why not call it Thor's Hammer Symbol?
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 5:49 PM on May. 11, 2013

• Why not call it Thor's Hammer Symbol?

Because the religion is called Heathenry, it is not called Thor's Hammer. Anymore than Chrsitianity is called Cross or Judaism is called Star of David.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:58 PM on May. 11, 2013

• It is sad that people had to die so they can get this. It should not be up to the military what religious symbols should or should not be on people's headstones.
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 7:44 AM on May. 18, 2013