How can I tell the difference between real contractions and braxton hicks???

I'm 35 weeks pregnant and have been having really bad back pain most of the day and now cramping and nausea. How do I tell the difference between the two? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I am freaking out!

sweetsavannah10

Asked by sweetsavannah10 at 7:41 PM on May. 10, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Real contractions will get more regular and closer together, and they won't stop when you lie down for a rest or drink water.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:50 PM on May. 10, 2013

• Ballad is right. Contractions are consistent. They do not go away.  They get stronger.

Answer by louise2 at 7:58 PM on May. 10, 2013

• Thank you both!
    sweetsavannah10

Comment by sweetsavannah10 (original poster) at 8:05 PM on May. 10, 2013

• Not always more consistent but they don't go away. They get progressively worse. You should phone your dr in the morning and sooner if anything else happens. You might try lying down on your left side and making sure you are hydrated. Usually BH will subside in an hour or two with rest. A contraction will have a clear beginning and ending. Have you timed them? You should definety mention it to your OB if you have more than 4 BH in an hour. Hope you feel better!
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:52 PM on May. 10, 2013