Tattoo healing time

I am getting my tattoo on the 8th, and going to a family reunion on the 28th. Will my tattoo scare small children with the healing process, or will it be pretty much healed by that time?
TIA

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 9:08 PM on May. 10, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Don't use neosporin unless infection sets in. Neosporin causes white dot scarring in tats. 60 is my rule on sun exposure. At 20 days your initial healing should be fairly complete but direct sun contact will probably make it burn. I have a new tat healing on my right calf and holy crap that was the most intense yet. The back of my shoulder was a walk in the park in comparison. I use shea butter on fresh tats and in 25 years never had an issue with it, ever.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:44 PM on May. 10, 2013

• haha, i dont remember any of mine being scary. a bit of peeling here and there for about a week-ish, but im only guessing. its been about 4 years since my last tat. i think itll be all nice & pretty after 20 days.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:10 PM on May. 10, 2013

• Don't put anything with petroleum on it and you'll be fine.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:34 PM on May. 10, 2013

• Mine just itched like crazy and got a little raised as it healed. I think I was okay after a week or so. Ohhhhh how it itched. I used A&D ointment and slapped it instead of scratched.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:40 PM on May. 10, 2013

• I agree with Grneyed. You can always ask the tattoo artist what his opinion is as well. Mine healed over in about a week but it was a fairly small tattoo without a ton of detail(this irritates the skin more causing a longer heal time).

After it is healed completely then you should keep sunscreen on it and try to keep it out of the sun as much as possible.

A good tattoo artist should not have a finished tattoo that is "scary" when healing. It should be a bit red, inflammed and perhaps some pealing but nothing more. You don't have to go all the way through every layer of skin to get a great tatt only the first couple of layers to enable the ink to stick.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:52 PM on May. 10, 2013

• There's no way a properly done tat will look gruesome at all, and it should be pretty much healed well before three weeks have gone by. Get some Lubriderm lotion to put on it. I wouldn't worry.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:55 PM on May. 10, 2013

• It may be a little dry but is should not be too scabby anymore.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:12 PM on May. 10, 2013

• It will be healed.
    Ask your artist what they recommend for after care.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:01 PM on May. 10, 2013

• It's going to itch like crazy but you should be fine at that point. All of mine took about 2 weeks to heal completely.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:46 AM on May. 11, 2013

• If your healing tattoo can scare children, your artist would have seriously screwed up. In fact, by then, your tattoo should look pretty well normal from a distance, maybe a bit of redness if they come close to get a better look.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:12 AM on May. 11, 2013