What state tweets the most hate speech? adult content

Interesting project, though I think they were too limited in word choice.  Then again, they required a real person to read each tweet to classify it as actual hate speech vs something that included one of their words (ie queer eye reruns on tomorrow vs you're a fucking queer).  I definitely think we'd see a lot more red if they'd included religious slurs and the use of retard or retarded as a slur.

http://users.humboldt.edu/mstephens/hate/hate_map.html#

Click on the categories at the top to see each data set.  If you open the more info part, there are links to the study itself and the data.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:41 PM on May. 10, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree, the scope of the hate speech is quite limited. What's sad to me is that someone feels the need to make a map like this at all.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:57 PM on May. 10, 2013

• Wow, thats nuts.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:16 AM on May. 11, 2013

• wow...im surprised my area isnt red on any of those. its a good start but they should do a second round w/ a religious section & more slurs under disability.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:22 AM on May. 11, 2013

• That map is full of it. There is a lot of hate where I live. It was only a couple of years ago I got into it with a classmate during a political science class. He said we should just blow up San Francisco to solve the "gay problem" and obviously I disagreed. Didn't help I was wearing a SF hoodie at the time:P

If you look at the map we're very low hate where I live but that simply is not the case.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:32 AM on May. 11, 2013

• That map is full of it.

No, that map is a small part of a scientific study which tracks hate speech on Twitter. Some random guy saying he's going to blow something up to your face obviously does not count.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:07 AM on May. 11, 2013

• I did it realize the word cripple was hate speech. Interesting.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:05 AM on May. 11, 2013