Did anyone else wait over 2 months before their first prenatal visit?

I have no reason to worry (no real reason anyway) but I am so anxious to go to my first doctors visit that I can barely stand it. The doctor told me that they won't let me pay out the $200 in payments after they see me, and they also won't wait on insurance to verify my pregnancy and all before I am covered. Today I am 7 weeks and 2 days and insurance will take another two weeks. It's even possible that I could be another month along because the last period I did have was really light, really short, and I really haven't had too many symptoms since I found out for sure I was pregnant. No morning sickness, just sore boobs and that little baby crampie feeling, but nothing too noticeable. I am so ready to get in there! Shouldn't I be getting more care than just a prenatal vitamin? Has anyone else waited through their first trimester before ever seeing a doctor?

kitten_shuga

Asked by kitten_shuga at 1:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yup .. its not really to smart to do but i have done it twice the first tiemn was in high school i was tring to hide it so i didnt go til about 20 weeks and this one we had no insurence yet so i had to wait for around 25 weeks as long as you take care of your self and be careful it should be ok lol but ill tell you you will hear it from the dr most likely lol i did both times
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I kinda did...I would just take a prenatal Vitamin while I waited on all my info.That way the baby still gets what it needs.
    Anonymous

• No. I would never wait. The first 3 months are so important.

Sorry to say that, but how can you afford a baby when you wont even be able to afford your doctors visit. $200 are nothing compared to the cost that your child will bring you for the next 20 years, if not even longer.

How do you even know that you are pregnant for sure (is what you said), since you havent even been to the doc to verify your pregnancy?!

The first 3 months have a higher risk of miscarriage. Not trying to scare you. thats just how it is. So you might want to make sure that you and the maybe-baby are alright.

i wish you good luck!
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• oh and btw. i wouldnt take those prenatal vitamins until your doc tells you its alright.

i took them and ended up in the ER. i would NEVER take them again.

just eat healthy, thats all you and the baby need
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• one of my friends did that. Its not safe ta do tho! Her baby was fine n everything but still! She went in when she was like a lil over 3months!
    kylie_2008

Answer by kylie_2008 at 1:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I had my first checkup at 8 weeks & then switched from a midwife to a doctor so it was another 2 months before I had another checkup. Of course I was worried about the baby but really no reason to be. As long as you are taking care of yourself & taking your vitamins & trying to eat right, the doctor really can't give you more than that; just the typical checks of your BP, urine & weight. Unless you are high-risk, I don't see any reason to be worried about waiting a little longer.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 1:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• m.robertson811 -- that is just mean maybe she doesnt have 200 dollars to just pull out of her butt and it is actually recommended to take prenatels befor eyou even get pregnant just because you got sick on one doesnt mean itts bad for her to take them if she doesnt the dr most likely will ask her why not ..OP no its not to smart but sometimes you cant help what happens just take care of your self be careful and eat right and try to get in as soon as you can
    Anonymous

• Blah Blah.

im not the only one who had this problem with the prenatal. And just for your information. As long as you eat healthy you dont need those crappy pills at all. I got pregnant when i lived in the states and my hubbys aunt told me its OH SOOO GREAT to take those things, because obviously everybody in the states does. But like i already said: i ended up in the ER, my babies heartbeat dropped really bad. Its not good to just take anything before asking the doctor. just because it says "vitamins" on the package, doesnt mean its so healthy.

eat right and you are good to go.

and no, it was not mean to say that about the $200. i was just wondering how she will be able to afford a child when she cant even pay for the check-ups. Insurance is so damn important these days. and since she doesnt even know if she is pregnant she should get to the doc soon. false negative tests are possible;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I had my first check up at 9 weeks, and my little girl has been developing fine. Like you, I was waiting on my new insurance to kick in and I couldn't afford to pay the hundreds of dollars for one doctor's visit. It's not uncommon for women to wait to go to the doctor's until after they miss their 2nd period. I started on the prenatal vitamins as soon as I got a positive on the home pregnancy test, but I had to switch to Flinestone's (doctor's orders) because they eventually made me naseaus.

Despite what others may say, don't feel bad about not being able to drop hundreds of dollars on a doctor's visit. It doesn't make you a bad parent. Money doesn't grow on trees for all of us!
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 1:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• really so it aint mean so then i am a bad perosn that isnt planning because right now this second at least for the next 2 weeks i dont have 200 dollars lord how will i take care of my baby that im pregnant with ... like i said mayeb she just doesnt have it right this second not everyone just has that extra money laying around
    Anonymous