Preschool/Kindergarden/grade school graduation

why?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:05 PM on May. 11, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• NO idea

seriously...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:13 PM on May. 11, 2013

• I've questioned that for years....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:13 PM on May. 11, 2013

• Why NOT? Is it not a milestone in your child's life to move into real school or move up to middle school? I think they do it because they can and they want parents to be involved with their child's education.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:14 PM on May. 11, 2013

• Is it not a milestone in your child's life to move into real school or move up to middle school?

But doesn't it make high school and college graduation a little less significant when it's the fourth, fifth, sixth time around? Oh look, I get to wear this funky robe again and grandma's giving me another check for $50.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:17 PM on May. 11, 2013

• I think a simple ceremony is a nice way to mark a transition or milestone in a child's life. Wearing the whole cap and gown and getting checks for fifty bucks does seem a bit much, but the ceremonies I've seen haven't been that elaborate. They've been more like a certificate and a round of applause, and that's it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:40 PM on May. 11, 2013

• LOL, exactly. The preschool just did this whole graduation at the park this past week. It was cute, but silly. I told her no gifts until she graduated from college! I have a professor friend who never attended his children's high school graduations because he said it was not an accomplishment to graduate from high school... I kinda see that too.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:41 PM on May. 11, 2013

• i dunno...i think its one thing to have a "moving-up" ceremony where they say "your time here is done, do good at the next school". but they shouldnt call it a "graduation". cause they arent graduating...they're still in school and have no diploma to show they've done anything.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:01 PM on May. 11, 2013

• The one that I have attended were really cute and most families enjoy them. Why in the world would this bother you? Don't like them don't participate. My Grandma might not be there for the HS ceremony! Enjoy life or at least try to.
    Anonymous

• Preschool graduation was just a little ceremony and a performance for the parents (songs and skits). We went to lunch afterwards with her best friend and her. Mom, but we did that every so often anyway. It wasn't so much special as it was just bringing their school year to an end and saying goodbye to their teachers. I've not had to go to a graduation of elementary or middle schools yet. It does seem a bit unnecessary, but so are pretty much all celebrations at school. That said, I have no problem with these kinds of celebrations.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:53 PM on May. 11, 2013

• Because it's little things like this that give us the happy memories of smiling awkward little faces that makes life worth living. Life is too short so you have to stop & smell the roses once in a while. Then your dead! I'll grip any great memory I can get.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:12 PM on May. 11, 2013