What would you do?

My SIL went to buy a laptop but ended up with 2.
While in the store she was being taking care of when the employee gave her what she needed so she can be on her way but at the same time my SIL asked Is this mine? and he said yes have a nice day. So she walked off still shopping around as she was walking out bc she was on her way out and if they needed to call her back she wold still be in the store well she continued to walk out thru the mall walked to her car and drove off (all along she was waiting for someone to say UH!!! ma'am but no one did.
3 weeks later they call her and asked for the other computer to please return it...she has a very busy schedule so I doubt she did bring it back.
A 2nd call they tell her they have her on camera....doing what where she says "is this mine" and he says "yes have a nice day"

What should she do I know what I would do give it back but she thinks it was their stupid mistake why should she. I just left it at that. Don't be surprised if this haunts you in so e way :/

Had to share...your thoughts?

Thx!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on May. 11, 2013 in Technology

• I don't see where she ended up with 2??
    If she willingly walked out with 2,she stole one

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:25 PM on May. 11, 2013

• So, she stole the 2nd computer?

Anytime you leave without something you did not pay for (unless it's those little tiny samples of perfume or makeup), you stole.

She will be prosecuted and she can be.

If the ATM spits out more money than you have, would you just take it or would you let them know their mistake? If you take it, it's stealing... end of story.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:26 PM on May. 11, 2013

• She never should have taken it in the first place. She took advantage of the sales person and the fact that it was busy to steal a computer. She knows its wrong because she walked around the store for a while before leaving with merchandise she did not pay for and that wasn't rightfully hers. Unless she has a receipt saying that it was a gift with purchase, then she knows she is a theif and is just too greedy to do the right thing. That obviously doesn't bother her since she started off by doing the wrong thing.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:26 PM on May. 11, 2013

• If she didn't pay for it she stole it. She should bring it back.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 3:28 PM on May. 11, 2013

• Even if it was their mistake, she did not pay for it, so she should give it back.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:29 PM on May. 11, 2013

• @ m-avi If it were me I'd do the opposite of my SIL I can not live with myself knowing darn well something was not right.

Guess we'll have to see what happens...her mother told her to return it (my mil) and I agree.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:29 PM on May. 11, 2013

• I wouldn't have taken it to begin with, I agree take it back. She could still be charged as she knowingly took it out of the store when she knew it wasn't hers.

I have gotten through checkout at the grocery store and found a fruit cup that wasn't rang in, and given it back and explained to my son why.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:48 PM on May. 11, 2013

• Those things have serial numbers. The serial numbers show up in receipts. If one is not accounted for and the last one to have it was your sister, they can go after her for theft. She should do the right thing and return this before it spirals out of control. It's a stolen computer no matter what.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:48 PM on May. 11, 2013

• SIL, sorry
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:49 PM on May. 11, 2013

• I know I couldn't live with myself if I took a computer without paying for it, even if an obviously distracted salesperson said it was okay. Stealin is stealing, even if someone else's absent-mindedness makes the job easier.

If you and your mother-in-law have said your piece, though, then wash your hands of the situation and let your sister-in-law make the bed she'll have to lie in.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:11 PM on May. 11, 2013