5 Year old getting teeth pulled out!

Hello,My 5 year old had a procedure done two years ago on her cavities, Now I took her back to the dentist and was told she had more cavities that I didn't clean her teeth well. She said that now she would have to pull out the bottom front teeth and one from her top front teeth and a crown on one of her back tooth. The dentist made me feel like a horrible mom, she then went to another patient a few chairs away and asked that mom how old her daugther was and the lady said 4, the dentist raised her voice and said "Good Job Mom no cavities, you have done a wonderful job" I think she did that to make me feel bad and she did that night I cried my brains out feeling bad that my child has to go through all this. I love my daughter to death and wished that I have taken more care of her teeth.
Anyways, Will it hurt my daughter when she gets her teeth pulled out I know they had said that one of the tooth had a really long root!

SufferingMom28

Asked by SufferingMom28 at 4:13 PM on May. 11, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First of all I think you should stop going to that Dentist. Bad teeth can also be from genetics. Some people just make more plaque naturally. I don't think they pull teeth unless they are very bad since the baby teeth are spacers for the adult teeth & if they are pulled then the new teeth will come in crooked. I'd get a second opinion before I let anyone pull her teeth. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:18 PM on May. 11, 2013

• I agree.. Get a different dentist. What a bitch. My daughter had some cavities on her baby teeth, and the dentist said to let them fall out naturally would be best since they were a bit loose anyway. He did NOT recommend pulling at all, and he is a pediatric dentist.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:22 PM on May. 11, 2013

• I agree. That dentist had no reason to belittle you that way. My boyfriend has taken meticulous care of his teeth, and they're just bad because of his genes, plain and simple. I'd get a second opinion. And yes, it will hurt when your kid gets her teeth out if that doesneed to happen, but it won't be the end of the world. She'll take her cues from you, so if you're relaxed and brave about it, she probably will be too.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:26 PM on May. 11, 2013

• Please get a second option and a new dentists. Don't beat yourself up honey. Cavities are contagious too. She could be sharing utensils with other people that have them.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 4:33 PM on May. 11, 2013

• Absolutely get a second opinion. Even if she felt you were negligent in your child's oral care there was no reason to publicly humiliate you than to serve her own agenda. I wouldn't be comfortable with that kind of person putting her hands in my child's mouth.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:17 PM on May. 11, 2013

• First, complain to whomever you can about that dentist, tell everyone, they should stay away from that office. First though, get them to send your dds files to the new dentist.
    They can pull one out and put in a spacer in place to keep that space for adult teeth, so other teeth wont move in its place.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 11:22 AM on May. 12, 2013