Would this concern you?

My daughter likes to play with a neighbor girl, which I let her do under certain circumstances, only because this particular girl's mother gives her a lot more freedom to run around the condo complex than I'm comfortable with for my own child. So I let them play outside when I'm nearby, and my daughter doesn't get to cross the street or go inside this girl's house. But then my daughter, who is five, told me yesterday that this girl had shown her a dead blackbird in a flower bed by her house and said she killed it with a rock. I don't know if that's true--birds are pretty quick, and it would be a lucky shot for a kindergartner to hit one and kill it. But whether she did it or just thought it up when she saw the dead bird and told my daughter she did it, the whole thing seems weird to me. Why would a little girl even think about killing birds with rocks, much less do it or tell someone she'd done it.

Would this concern you? Would you keep your child from playng with the other girl, or just blow it off as a kid thing? Would you go to the other girl's mother and tell her? I don't know the mother very well at all. The kids have had lots of fun together, though--the other girl is into playing dress-up, so she brings out princess costumes and the like, and the kids do fashion shows out on the grass. I'm really torn.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:43 PM on May. 11, 2013 in General Parenting

• I dunno- 5 year olds are pretty weird in general in my experience. My guess is she was throwing rocks then found the bird assuming she had done it... or she has older brothers. Boys are all into the whole poke it with a stick thing and she might have gotten the idea to make up a 'good' story from being around them. The thing I would be most concerned with is whether or not they touched it and making sure my kids knows not to go near it or any other dead animal again.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:13 PM on May. 11, 2013

• I think she may be a show off. BUT! I would not let them play or wander unattended without an adult outside especially with them. 5 is too much of an impressionable age. I don't like the whole non compassion thing with the bird though. My Son would be in tears if he saw a dead bird & heard that someone killed it.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:44 PM on May. 11, 2013

• She might just have a really active imagination. I would keep a close eye on them when they play however.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:45 PM on May. 11, 2013

• It wouldn't concern me. If it keeps happening with multiple animals then maybe, but a one time thing wouldn't worry me. Most likely she came upon the bird and made the story up.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:47 PM on May. 11, 2013

• Eh, at this time of the year, birds, babies and/or dead ones are everywhere. I sit out back and am always hearing the neighborhood kids talking about dead birds here or there....

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:14 PM on May. 11, 2013

• I probably wouldn't think much of it. No if other animals end up dead and she keeps taking credit I would probably stop letting my kid play with her.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:22 PM on May. 11, 2013

• I would still let her play with the child, just keep supervising them.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:47 PM on May. 11, 2013

• Mine have killed a bird
    They live on a farm and know injured animals have to be put down
    To hear them tell the story would make your skin crawl but they were doing it out of a sense of compassion

Keep an eye out but a one of thing wouldnt phase me
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:52 PM on May. 11, 2013

• I don't think I'd worry about it much- unless it becomes something you hear about more often.
    5 yr olds have some pretty odd things to say sometimes.

Let them continue playing at this point
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:50 PM on May. 11, 2013

• I agree with the others. Keep supervising them for sure. Sometimes little kids say strange things. I once told a kindergarden class I was teaching about a pet rat I had that would bite so much I couldn't pick him up and play with him. This little girl looks at me, and with a big smile on her face said "Did you kill it?" By the way, I didn't kill it. He lived out his natural rat life.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 2:25 AM on May. 12, 2013