Keep him awake during the day to sleep through or most of the night?

I have a 5 1/2 month old boy. He wakes during the night probley like 3-4 times to eat. He goes anywhere from 3-4 hrs!

During the day he take 2 sometimes 3naps! Normaly there between 20mins-1hr.

I was wondering..to get him to sleep more or even through the night..if I should only let him take 1 nap, or not sleep during the day at all! Just try n keep him awake?

When he was a NB he used to like sleep alll day n not at night, they told me that just le him do it n he'll change himslef n get on track of day n night. But I had to help him! I had to keep him awake during the day. That was the only thing that worked!
So should I try that again on him or not?

kylie_2008

Asked by kylie_2008 at 1:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's what I do with my almost two month old. If she only takes one nap during the day she sleeps really well at night. She eats a ton during the day, so she gets in all her food during the daytime.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• if you havnt started him on baby cereal do so now thats going to give him a few extra calories and fill him up more so that he may sleep better at night. also maybe only let him nap twice and make sure the second nap is early enough in the day that it wont be just a few hours till bed. try a nice warm bath befor bed and at night you could just let him cry through one of his feedings he may not really be hungry it could just be a routine he is in.
    Anonymous

• He sounds like a typical 5 1/2 month old boy to me.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• my boy just turned 6 months and is almost sleeping 6/7 hours a night..do you bf or bottle? normally babies his age should have 2/3 naps a day and they say not to wake a sleeping baby during the day. My pedritician said babies his age do not need to eat during the night now if they are eating sufficiently during the day, you need to wean him from night time feedings and get him used to falling asleep on his own (thats what im trying to do right now with mine) good luck!
    Anonymous

• my son has been on a sleep schedule for a long time.. and that is the important part.. he's 7 months, takes two 2 hour naps, and then sleeps 11 hours at night.. his last bottle is at 5 pm, and bed by 7. There are some great books out there, that help with sleeping.. all babies are different, so what works for one might not work for another.. i wrote out all my sleep techniques in my journal, and i continue updating it... babies after about 3-4 months dont need to eat at night.. after that, it is just out of habit. They need to learn and be taught how to fall asleep on their own.. if i lay my son in his bed, he's asleep within minutes.. baby411 book is good to have..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 2:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• no, they NEED their sleep, they need 2... 2 hr naps, youll go CRAZY if they dont nap all day, so i would give them 2 ...2hrs ONE IN THE PM, and one in the am, they need to grow, and that has alot to do with sleep.
    Anonymous

• I might try to keep him up through one nap, or shorten the naps, but if he is super cranky then that is just the schedule he needs right now. try different things but try the same thing for a week or so before giving up so he has time to adjust
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2009