Help! Can this baby bird be saved? adult content

My son was outside earlier today and it started a sudden down pour. He came in and said that a baby bird fell out of a tree. As soon as it stopped raining, I went to take a look. I first thought it was dead but the bird is moving. It looks like it was just born because a few small fragments of shell are sticking to it. I have called our local nature center but they are closed right now. There is a cat nearby and my son and his friends are trying to keep the cat away. Is there anything that we can do?

I will be attaching a picture in the replies. 

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 7:52 PM on May. 11, 2013 in Pets

• JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 7:53 PM on May. 11, 2013

• You can save nestlings but putting it back in its nest would increase its chance of survival
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:02 PM on May. 11, 2013

• I had a little luck with this once. We had to feed it powdered food with a dropper, kept it under a lamp to keep warm, put the nest in a shoebox, but the momma wouldn't come back for it. We kept it for about 3-4 months (till it was trying to fly around the house!), it hung around outside for a month or so, then ????
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:03 PM on May. 11, 2013

• Poor thing. I think PGA is right the momma won't come back.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 8:09 PM on May. 11, 2013

• out on gloves and try to put it back in the nest. Try your absolute hardest not to touch it with your skin. This is for the bird's sake not your though! Just don't want it to smell of you.
    Anonymous

• I can't even see the nest. I am not sure if the wind blew it away or what. I will try what PGA suggested.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 8:12 PM on May. 11, 2013

• If you've touched or moved it definitely no. At that age, moms may not come back anyway. It's just nature....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:56 PM on May. 11, 2013

• If you decide to try and keep the chick, you'll need to get someone to teach you how to feed it with a dropper because a bird's windpipe and its gullet are very close together and you can end up aspirating the poor thing on its food. Contact your local pt stores to find out where they buy their birds from, or search for an aviculture society in your area. Usually there are breeders of pet birds who will be glad to help teach someone to feed by hand. Also, check your local laws because in some places, you aren't allowed to keep wild animals for longer than a specified time. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:20 PM on May. 11, 2013

• We have saved baby birds before. Do you know what kind of bird it is? Try Googling what to feed him. That's just pitiful. Can you find his nest? Get him away from the cat, quick!
    Cowgirl_Coyote

Answer by Cowgirl_Coyote at 10:25 PM on May. 11, 2013

• If you can get to the nest but the baby back in the nest. it is a lie that birds will not return to the nest if humans touch their babies.
    Bri060492

Answer by Bri060492 at 12:35 AM on May. 16, 2013