Wondering why I'm trying so hard not to get pregnant now

It took almost two years to conceive our son naturally and 18 months to conceive our daughter with medication because I was anovulatory. We do want a little time before we try for a third baby so I had an IUD and when I reacted to that I got a Depo Provera shot (which is miserable because I can't even stop bleeding on the stupid thing).

I can't help but wonder with how much effort it took to get pregnant and to actually ovulate more then 2-3 times a year, why on earth are we trying so hard not to get pregnant and to stop ovulation? There's a small part of me that's worried that we may have to go through hell to get my ovulation going again after this. I mean if by some miracle we got pregnant in a year or less it wouldn't kill us and we did already say that we want another baby.

After infertility did you guys use birth control? Were you ever scared of making your infertility worse? How did it make sense to you to try not to get pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on May. 11, 2013 in General Parenting

• I had my son very easy but since he was 1 yr old(he is 5 now 6 in oct) I have only been on birth control a few times. Once when I was on a medication that would cause birth defects if I got pregnant, and then once for 2 mths when I was trying to treat my endometriosis.

My endo has caused fertility problems, while it also causes a lot of pain I WILL not go on any birth control, especially the depo shot because I do not want to mess with my hormones as I'm afraid it would mess with my fertility even more.

THe mirena was horrible for me and it took me 6mths to get back to a normal hormones. If you aren't ovulating much anyways I agree why try and stop it and put your body through that torture.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:57 PM on May. 11, 2013

• I struggled with infertility for years and then had a healthy baby girl, followed by three miscarriages. I've had a hard time making sense of using birth control, too, stopping something i've had to work so hard for. I understand.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:38 AM on May. 12, 2013

• If I would have had that much trouble getting pregnant and I knew I we wanted more kids. I would not have taken any type of BC. Would have let nature take it's coarse.

Answer by louise2 at 12:09 PM on May. 12, 2013

• If i were in that situation I would be worried about that too and would likely have skipped the hormones and just used withdrawal. Yes it is not that effective but if I had that much of an issue getting pregnant and would not die from having another child I wouldn't want to mess with nature too much.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:10 PM on May. 12, 2013