Why not drill here, drill now?

Ok, so there is alot of debate about the stimulus bill (or spending bill, if you prefer) on here today, and someone mentioned that drilling for domestic oil was not included. I can't understand why it's not supported by America. Think about it -
Who will be working to build the drilling equiptment - Americans
Who will be operating the drilling equipment - Americans
Who will be working to maintain and repair the pipelines - americans
Who will be building the new refineries needed to deal with turning it into gasoline - americans
Who will be buying it - Americans
What country could we physically outsource this industry to? - no one.

And I'm all for wind powered energy - if birds can fly around without committing suicide on trees, I think they can avoid a windmill.

plylerjones

Asked by plylerjones at 1:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We should be turning away from drilling-not raping the land.
    Anonymous

• LOL....anon 131...is an example of why we arent drilling in America. There are just a handful of crazies out there...just enough of them...the new president included...to stop the drilling from taking place.
    Anonymous

• I am all for taking care of the earth.

But dern those human beans, they have to pay $4 bucks a gallon for gas and they just start starvin' on ya.
    I hate it when that happens.
    Have you hugged a Saudi today. THEY LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• We'll there are just enough of you that if you had it your way we'd already be OUT of oil and drilling in every little cranny that *might* have something in it.

No thank you. We need to put oil behind us, it will be good for us, the earth, and our economy.

I am sick of paying for gas to put in a piece of crap vehicle that was built to fall apart companies that are going to get money for doing shit work.

We need a revolution. Time to make changes in America. THAT is my opinion.
    Anonymous

• And, I am sick of being dependent on others for oil. So, this way-it takes care of both.
    Anonymous

• I live in a passive solar house and plan to build one that is off the grid. That being said, I still think we need to DRILL HERE and DRILL NOW until solar, wind, geothermal and other energy sources become sophisticated enough to power our country.

Weaning an entire nation off of oil will take a generation, and in the meantime we should be taking advantage of what we have, instead of supporting countries with deplorable civil rights violations.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Um, don't we give money to israel? And, according to some-what they did to the palestines IS a deplorable civil rights violation.
    Anonymous

• We can drill til the earth caves in, doesn't help a thing until we build more refineries that nobody wants in their back yard. The current price increase you see is because refinery workers were threatening to strike. They never actually did, but they never actually bothered to drop the price again, either.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Anon 1:31

Why is it environmentalists are so concerned about AMERICANS "raping our land," as you so eloquently put it, but it's apparently acceptable for the rest of the world's inhabitants to rape, pillage, and destroy their respective homelands at whim?!

Every environmental step we take forward, is eradicated by some country that doesn't have laws/regulations/limits on pollution, sets us back a hundred steps!

Drill, baby drill!!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Why is it environmentalists are so concerned about AMERICANS "raping our land," as you so eloquently put it, but it's apparently acceptable for the rest of the world's

Its not OK all the way around-so why make things worse????
    And, if we didn't have to by oil from those countries bc we had other energy sources-THAT alone would speak to other countries to follow suit.
    Anonymous