So what's the opposite of peaceful or attached parenting?

I have family members who always have to highlight that they practice peaceful parenting or attached parenting then they have to bring up that it's ok that you don't practice either of those forms of parenting(not really but hey we'll put on a nice face).

It just can't help but be mildly irritating when people say they practice peaceful or attached parenting. I guess because what's the opposite of peaceful and attached? So I'm really wondering what is the opposite?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 1:36 AM on May. 12, 2013 in General Parenting

• what's the opposite of peaceful and attached? The way I was raised, emotionally abusive, raging alcoholic, mother
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:41 AM on May. 12, 2013

• Yeah it just makes it sound like your parenting method is beating them with a stick. Real definition apparently means that you don't co-sleep,breastfeed,baby wear,that you vaccinate on time, that I've had them both by c-section and I have a job outside the home.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:52 AM on May. 12, 2013

• Well, I have a 25 year old and an 18 year old. I did everything you did, and mine came out more than fine. I was also a single mom, and my kids managed to turn out pretty good. Don't let them guilt you into thinking you are doing something wrong.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:59 AM on May. 12, 2013

I agree; it makes the rest of us sound like Mommie Dearest. My mother was a real piece of work, too. I think if you're loving with your kis, and firm in guiding them so they'll make happy lives for themselves, the rest is all just logistics.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:09 AM on May. 12, 2013

• i always hate ppl who say they ____ parent. i mean i tried to breastfeed and i wore my son cause he was very clingy, but i did it cause it was best for us...not because its the fad thing to do right now. following a parenting style usually means you are choosing a book's idea of what's best over your own common sense & what fits your lifestyle.

ive also found that ppl who are constantly saying "we're doing _____ parenting" are pompous a-holes who need other ppl to validate their parenting decisions. they arent secure enough in their parenting so they have to make you feel bad in order for them to feel better.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:00 AM on May. 12, 2013

• "ive also found that ppl who are constantly saying "we're doing _____ parenting" are pompous a-holes who need other ppl to validate their parenting decisions. they arent secure enough in their parenting so they have to make you feel bad in order for them to feel better. "

Standing up and applauding! Hear! Hear!

LOL (but ain't that the truth!)
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:40 AM on May. 12, 2013

• i agree, we just parent our child the way that works for us, I dont put a name on it, their are things I am protective about, however I also encourage her independent nature, thats how she is, so I dont want to stiffle that completely, I guess I wish people wouldnt be so concerned about other peoples parenting style, or so concerned with ramming their parenting style down other peoples throats, just do as you do and do it quietly and go on about your life! ugh....lol
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 5:11 AM on May. 12, 2013

• Technically the opposite is free range parenting
    These parents dont go to the birthday parties of classmates they drop their kids off
    They dont play with their kids every second of everyday

But they also dont neglect their kids. They simply teach them the world isnt big and scary and if the kid falls its possible they just tripped over a rock and were not pushed

However the people you are describing sound like assholes
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:57 AM on May. 12, 2013

• No free range parenting is NOT technically the opposite of attachment or peaceful parenting. I actually practice some of all three. My children's needs are attended to when necessary, but they are also not taught that the world is a scary place. I breastfed and wore my babies as THEY needed me to, but I also let them explore the world as needed. At 6 and 8 years old we still practice pieces of all of these "styles". Personally we do what works for OUR family and can only expect the same from others. Short of actual abuse I could give a hoot what or how you parent your child. If asked about my styles I will discuss, but not to try and "convert" someone but to let them know there are options other than what they are doing, but ONLY if asked.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:08 PM on May. 12, 2013

• Babywise would be your polar opposite of attached parenting: schedules, cry it out, follow the book come hell or high water.

Although I do think the "attached parenting" label is silly. In my family it's considered caring for the baby and no label was needed.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:22 PM on May. 12, 2013