How long will it take for my son to get use to the hypoallergenic formula?

My son is now 4 weeks old. Since the day he was born(4 weeks early) he has done nothing but throw up. We started on regular similac, then to sensitive, next soy. Now he is on nutramigen. I feel he has gotten worse with the throwing up. He was projectile vomiting before we switched him and now he isn't but he is still throwing up most of what he has eaten. It has only been about 12 hrs since we switched but I was hoping to see some changes. Does anyone know how long it will take if this does work? The dr said if he isn't better in a week they will do a sonogram to see if he has pyloric stenosis. They don't think that's it but don't want to rule it out.

Jschulke

Asked by Jschulke at 1:17 PM on May. 12, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As far as I know, you can usually see a difference immediately. Take him to a different Dr. as soon as possible for a second opinion please.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:23 PM on May. 12, 2013

• I have changed his dr twice (Im really picky). He has seen 3 different drs in a month. And in two weeks he has only gained 3 ounces. Current dr said they were worried but not extremely concerned because he has gained some weight. I was thinking of taking him to some specialist. But I have no idea what kind or if that would even help.
    Jschulke

Comment by Jschulke (original poster) at 1:46 PM on May. 12, 2013

• Find a doctor and stick with them. Doc shopping doesn't do anyone any good and you end up with no one actually following him.

I'd give it a full 24 hours before you give up. You may be switching too frequently and this is causing him further digestive issues.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:07 PM on May. 12, 2013

• 24 hours.

Let me throw this out for you... it's possible to get him on the breast. If you don't want to, that's fine. But know that it's a possibility.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:11 PM on May. 12, 2013

• Every doctor I find doesn't seem to care enough. He was projectile vomiting in the hospital after he was born. They let me take him home the next day. And my milk never came in. He was premature and it hadn't came in yet and it still hasn't. But I never tried to pump or anything because I didn't like breast feeding with my first child, Because I have thought about that. I cant afford to buy the breast milk that people sell. Im not switching him from formula to formula. Its the drs. They all knew how long he was on each formula...

I am not being rude by this comment by the way. Just stating whats going on. Sorry if it came off in a different way.
    Jschulke

Comment by Jschulke (original poster) at 4:42 PM on May. 12, 2013

• Stay with ONE doctor so ONE doctor has all his records and they can narrow down what's wrong.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:00 PM on May. 12, 2013

• No worries. I'd head to the nearest Children's Hospital, let him spit up all over them and camp out there till they figure it out. It does sound like pyloric stenosis.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:46 AM on May. 13, 2013

• My son did this. His second doctor. Switch him to three diffrent formulas. Then he sent him to Cooks foe a sonagram on his tummy. We found out that he was born with an air bubble almst the size of his tummy. NO wounder he could not keep anything down at all/ At that point in his life.
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 3:00 AM on May. 13, 2013

• All the drs are in the same clinic. He goes back to the dr today. He got worse on the new formula and has an allergic reaction to it. I am hoping they do a sonogram to see if they can figure out what is wrong. Its getting worse and its extremely frustrating.
    Jschulke

Comment by Jschulke (original poster) at 8:33 AM on May. 14, 2013

• Go to Facebook and check out Eats on Feets. It's donated breastmilk. At most you'd pay for shipping, which will be cheaper than the formulas you've been paying for.

Also look for Human Milk 4 Human Babies. Again, a donor site.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:44 AM on May. 16, 2013