At what age did your child nap until?

OMG, my DD is 4 and nap time is really becoming a battle, I think I read they should nap until about age 5...just curious when yours stopped napping and how you kept your sanity?? Nap time is my fav part of the day =)

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 1:31 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I believe naps are beneficial to your health, so my three year old twins and I take naps together and I have no plans to ever stop.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 5:58 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I had to stop my youngest when he was about 2, if not he would not sleep at night.... My kids are now 16,9,7 still dont have my sanity back...lol....maybe one day
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My oldest stopped taking his nap at about 2. (Maybe a little older, but not much) Now he has decided that he needs to "rest" sometimes during the day, but it interrupts his night time sleep, so I don't let him sleep too long.
    My youngest is 17 months and still sleeps for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours each nap.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Honestly? Both of my kids gave up their naps some time between 2 and 2 1/2 years old. If they napped they did NOT go to bed at a reasonable hour and yet still got up early in the morning. Removing the nap meant an age appropriate bed time and a full night's sleep for us all.

Remember, it's not napping vs not napping, per se. It's "total number of hours of sleep per day." I forget what the recommendation per age was, but let's just say it's 9-10 hours for a 4 year old. (And really, don't assume I'm right on that range. LOL!) If she's getting that at night, then she may not need a nap at all. For my two, they *did* get their full days' allotment at night *IF* they did not nap during the day. We did require a "quite time" during the day for a while. now we take a 'quiet' break only if they seem to really need it.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:44 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My 4 year old still naps, If I try to miss it , he will fall asleep at dinner time and be back up around 10 ready to go!! so he takes a two hour ( yeah I know its a long time) nap around 1 until 3 pm and goes to sleep around 8:30, We get up at 6:30.
    HisJesusGirl

Answer by HisJesusGirl at 1:56 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My oldest stopped naping when he was 20 months old. My youngest still naps 2x a day but she is 7 months
    MidnightKarma

Answer by MidnightKarma at 2:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• 16 months. she still has quiet time, but she rarely sleeps.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My 5 yr old stopped napping at 2. He just wasn't tired enough to fall asleep. It became more of a fight than anything and it just wasn't worth all the fuss. Quiet time is a must though.
    hipmommaCLB

Answer by hipmommaCLB at 2:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Our 2 older children (24 & 17) took naps everyday until they turned 6yrs old. Wehome schooled, so it allowed for nap time. However for the last year, they didn't always sleep, but they had to stay quiet in their beds with a book or something like that and at least rest. We now have a 2 & a 3 yr old and they nap everyday from 1-3pm. They will probably have the same nap time/ rest time until they are 6 just like the 2 older ones did.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Dd stopped around 3ish. She'd stay awake during nap time. If she does occasionally take a nap she's up unitl 10 or 11 in her room- I can hear her just playing and talking away. If she doesnt take a nap she is in bed around 7:30 or 8 and is asleep pretty fast. Its easier for us to do it that way. She's pretty agreeable- sometimes she'll get a little cranky in the evening, but usually she's pretty good.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2009