Keep potty training or stop?

First of all my oldest is 8 and was completely trained at 19 months. My middle is now 5 and was completely trained at 20 months she hasn't however wet the bed since 12 months. They are all girls by the way. With my last baby I took my time since....Well....since she is my last baby. She just turned 2 which I know is kind if early still but she has pooped 3 times in the potty and peed (to many to count) but in the last month hasn't went in the potty but one time. Thing is she hates wet and dirty diapers so I actually thought she would be easy. I had her in undies yesterday while training which she peed all day in them. Now today she has been in undies. If I say let's go potty she does run to the potty sometime I have to pry her off since she isn't going. Well today all morning she has been dry but hasn't peed in the potty. For naptime I had a . Diaper on she peed. When she woke I put her back on the potty and undies she didn't go but stayed dry. We went to the store so I put her in a diaper til we got home she peed in the diaper. I put undies on her when we got home she kept them dry she didn't poop them however but so far has still been dry I know it isn't good to hold it in so not sure if I should stop or continue?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on May. 12, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like this is becoming a control issue for her. IMHO I say just stop-in a sense. Let her take control. If she wants panties- fine. If she wants a diaper- fine. If she wants to sit- great- let her sit as long as she wants(unless of course you need her to get in the car or something) If she doesn't- that's great to. Don't say anything about it one way or another. If she goes and she is excited, be excited with her. Let her take the lead for a while. Once you have taken control out of the equation, she may surprise you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:52 PM on May. 12, 2013

• Just because your nephew is having that problem doesn't mean your daughter will. Have you showed her that her older siblings use the big kid potty? A lot of time that alone can help motivate. She is still young. My son wasn't potty trained until 4(hence my frustration lol) but girls tend to be earlier because they gain better control over themselves younger.

Your nephew sounds very atypical, meaning that doesn't happen with most children. You still have plenty of time and attempting to force it can make it take even longer.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:17 PM on May. 12, 2013

• I agree with But_Mommie. Same thing happened with my son. I tried everything anyone suggested(treats, charts ect). Then one day I just gave up, let him decide and we were out at Wendy's of all places(he was in a diaper) and he told us he had to go potty. Husband took him and he went, from then on out he was potty trained, he even did great at night(lucky there).

Sometimes you just have to give up control to them.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:01 PM on May. 12, 2013

• I know she is only 2 but my nephew is 5 and he still isn't potty trained. She isn't putting him in kindergarten in the fall because of it. She has him in undies and pull ups at night he will hold it all day even per (she gets him dressed at 9am) so from 9 til 630 (when she puts him in a pull up at night) soon as she puts a pull up on him he owes in it once in a while he pees in the potty but normally holds it. Then pooping he goes in a pull up too or he will go in his room and shut the door and poop his pants
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:08 PM on May. 12, 2013

• When I was potty training my daughter, I had read to put the child on the potty for ten minutes every half hour, and every hour if they happen to go. Being a single parent it became a little difficult paying for everything and then spending an extra 20 on pull ups when I knew she could do it! I just encouraged her and every time that she did go in the potty I told her I was so proud of her and how well of a job she was doing. I even went as far as having a potty dance and when I knew she had to go number 2 I put on the Salt N Pepper song.. Push it... She seemed to enjoy it and that actually helped her with a number 2. Not saying that this will work for all children, but if I were you I would keep going at it.
    AdriMommy89

Answer by AdriMommy89 at 11:38 AM on May. 13, 2013